McGill has partnered with two organizations to provide you with easy payment options to transfer funds to the University in your local currency. They are offered so that you may make an informed decision on the one that works best for you from either a cost or ease of payment perspective. CIBC and Western Union are both committed to supporting higher education and improving the international student experience.
CIBC International Student Pay (coming soon in August 2017)
A new secure online portal for International Students to make arrangement for payments to McGill University in the student’s local currency. The quote and payment instructions the student receives are good for 72 hours (excluding weekends).
Benefits of the Program include:
• Enhanced Student Experience: Easily make a tuition payment in your preferred currency.
• Access to Live Foreign Exchange Rates: With CIBC International Student Pay you’ll have access to the competitive foreign exchange rates CIBC is providing to McGill University.
• End-to-End Communication: You’ll receive detailed instructions and a reference code to deliver to your local bank within 72 hours (excluding weekends). Your bank simply follows the instructions and sends the funds to your school.
There are no transaction charges from CIBC or from McGill.
To get a quote and payment instruction please:
- Select the country you are paying from, and how much you want to transfer to McGill.
- Review the quote, and see up front what the exchange amount will be.
- Complete the required information, and make the payment by wire through your bank.
Payments will typically take 2-5 business days to be reflected in your student fee account.
CIBC is currently offering an introductory promotion.
Western Union GlobalPay for Students
We have partnered with Western Union Business Solutions to give international students and their families an easy, fast and affordable way to pay for tuition and other expenses. This option enables you to pay your student fees in the currency of your choice.
Using this secure online system you can:
- Pay by mobile phone.
- Get payment status updates.
- Choose from many payment methods including Unionpay,Tenpay, AliPay, SOFORT, POLIpayments, iDeal, NetBanking, and Trustly
Best of all, there are no transaction charges from Western Union or from McGill.
Here’s how it works:
1. Click here to access GlobalPay for Students or click on the Western Union logo on the e-Payment Options menu in Minerva.
2. Enter your payment details.
3. Make a payment online or at your bank.
That’s it. We will post the funds to your student account as soon as they are received, which typically takes 2-5 business days.
Note: This is not a payment through Western Union Agent locations (except in the case of some payments from India). You will simply be paying into a Western Union bank account, and then Western Union transfers the funds to McGill in Canadian dollars.
If your local currency is listed and supported through either CIBC International Student Pay, or Western Union GlobalPay for Students, then we ask that you use those payment options. These partners allow us to process a high volume of international payments in a timely manner.
If your local currency is not listed with one of these two partners, then you can request our direct wire information. Send an email to student.accounts [at] mcgill.ca, with the Subject line “Requesting wire information”, and in the body explain why you need the wire information, what currency you currently hold, and what country you are paying from.
Note that wires sent directly to the University will take 2-10 business days to be received and processed.
We recommend that you use one of the electronic methods of payment. If this is not possible, we do accept cheques. Mail from outside of Canada can be especially slow, taking 2-3 weeks even from the US. The University is not responsible for mail service delivery. Postmarks on envelopes are not viewed as the received date. If a payment is received past the fee deadline indicated on your e-bill, interest and/or a Late Payment Fee will be assessed.
The cheque can be mailed, along with a copy of your e-bill, to:
McGill University — Student Accounts Office
3415 McTavish Street
Cheques, money orders or bank drafts should be made payable to "McGill University" in Canadian or US funds. To ensure that your account is correctly credited, you must print your family name and McGill ID number on the front of the cheque or money order.
Students should be aware that a cheque in Canadian, or US dollars, which is not drawn from a Canadian or US bank, must be presented by the University to the bank from which it is drawn. This can take two to three months and fees are deemed not to have been paid until the funds have been received by the University from the bank. Payments under $100 will be refused.
To avoid this situation, an international draft in Canadian funds drawn from a Canadian bank should be requested from the bank in your own country. Once received by the University, if this bank draft is missing the Canadian bank account coding across the lower portion of the cheque, Student Accounts will need to send the cheque to our bank for coding before it can be deposited. This can take up to a week and fees are deemed not to have been paid until the cheque is returned by the bank to Student Accounts for processing.