Receiving your e-Bill

I believe my email address is inactive. What do I do?

Users can verify/change their Email Delivery Destination (which mailbox McGill is delivering email to) by going to the Reggie Web page, selecting "Change Account Information", selecting "Uniform Email Address", and following the on-screen instructions. Alternately, users can contact ICS Customer Services directly.

What happens when I am no longer registered? Do I still get my e-bill?

If you are a McGill graduate, you can get an Email for Life (ELF) email account.

If you did not graduate and have officially withdrawn from McGill (i.e., advised us that you are not planning to return):

  • You can continue to access your e-bill on Minerva (as long as there is a balance other than zero).
  • Your McGill Email Address (first [dot] last [at] mail [dot] mcgill [dot] ca) will remain active for one (1) year after you have officially withdrawn from McGill.
  • You will be notified by email that your email account will be de-activated within two weeks time, and consequently will be advised to forward your McGill Email Address to another valid mailbox.

If you did not graduate and do not return to McGill (i.e., you did not advise us that you are withdrawing):

  • You can continue to access your e-bill on Minerva (as long as there is a balance other than zero).
  • Your McGill Email Address (first.last @mail.mcgill.ca) will remain active for approximately 18 months after your last registered term.
  • Approximately six (6) months after your last registered term, you will be notified by email that your email account will be de-activated within two weeks' time, and consequently will be advised to change the delivery destination of your McGill Email Address to deliver to another valid mailbox.

What is the difference between my e-bill and the Account Summary by Term?

The e-bill is produced at a certain point in time and represents a “snapshot” of your account at that moment. All charges which have not been previously billed appear as current charges. Charges that were previously billed, and still unpaid as of the statement date, are displayed at the top of the bill as one amount.

Your account summary by term shows the individual charges by date and is accurate as of the moment you are accessing the information. Interest will only accrue on items that have appeared on a bill (e-bill or paper bill). Therefore if there are charges that appear on your account summary by term with a date following the last bill date, they will not be part of the balance on which the interest is calculated.

Can my parents or someone else I designate have access to my billing information?

Yes. See Guest Access for more information.

Can I revoke guest access privileges when I want?

Yes, you can revoke access to any or all of the privileges when you wish by going to the “Change Access Privileges for your Guest” menu.

Will my guest be notified when a new e-bill is ready?

Yes, they will be cc’d on the email that you receive when a new e-bill is ready to view on Minerva, if you have granted access to the View e-bills/Account Summary by Term privilege.

What is the difference between the Student Third Party Billing email address and being a guest?

The student third party billing email address is used to send a copy of the email notification about e-bills being ready to any third party you have designated. It does not give them access to Minerva. By giving privileges to a guest, you enable that guest to access Minerva with their own login credentials and access only the parts of your financial record you have authorized.

Do I have to communicate with my guest about the secret word that I have selected?

No, the University will send both you and your guest an email identifying the secret word, just in case you forget.

Understanding your e-Bill

What is the "Out Of Province Supplement" charge on my bill?

Tuition Supplements are additional tuition charges for Canadian or certain International students (in particular programs) who do not qualify for the Quebec rate of Tuition. These supplements are set by MELS (Ministère de l’Education, de Loisir et du Sport).

For details on tuition rates based on citizenship and residency, see Fees by Residency status.

I see inserts attached to my e-bill. What are they?

Inserts contain important supplementary information and forms provided by either the University or student organizations. They are available with the e-bill as hyperlinks in PDF format and may be viewed on-line, downloaded and/or printed.

e-Bill payment

Can I take my e-bill to the bank and use it to pay my fees?

Several of the major Canadian financial institutions are going paperless with regards to bill payment. You may register your bills with your bank and they will take care of the paperwork for you. Once your bill is registered, you no longer need to take your bill to the ATM or to the branch. You can also pay them through online banking or by telephone.

For instructions on how to register your bills, please consult with your bank. Generally bills may be registered by either:

a) adding them to the payees list through on-line banking
b) phoning the bank (many have a 1-800 number for this purpose)
c) going to your branch and requesting that a teller register them for you.

Here are some links we have found that describe this service:
TD Canada Trust

Can I pay my bill with my credit card?

Unfortunately credit card companies charge a service fee to the University for credit card payments that can't be passed on to the consumer. We are unable to assume the merchant costs for credit cards, considering the University’s budget has been significantly limited by the Québec government recently. Under these circumstances, we prefer to spend our funds, both those coming from your fees and those coming from government funding (and therefore ultimately from the taxpayer), by providing academic services, equipment, etc.

Please see the Making a payment page for acceptable methods of payment.

How long does it take for my payment to get to my account?

In general, payments should appear on your account within the following time frames:

  • Electronic banking (Internet or telephone): 1-2 business days
  • Pre-authorized debit (e-cheque), through Minerva: 1-2 business days
  • Mailed payment: once mail is received, 2 business days. Mailing time can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks, or longer, depending on point of origin.

See Making a payment for details regarding wire transfers and payments not drawn from Canadian bank accounts.

Can I pay by debit card?

Effective February 14th, 2014, Service Point will no longer accept in-person payments, and this includes debit card payments. If you have a debit card, this means you have a Canadian bank account and can pay through online banking. Avoid the lines, and pay online! Please visit the  By internet (online) or telephone banking site for more detailed instructions.

Can I pay by cheque?

Effective February 14th, 2014, Service Point will no longer accept in-person payments, and this includes cheque payments. You can choose to mail a cheque to Student Accounts, though if your payment is delayed in the mail interest will not be reversed on your account. Postmarks on envelopes are not viewed as the received date. Please see our By mail site for more detailed instructions.

If you have a cheque for an external scholarship that is payable to the University, then you can drop this off at Service Point, in an envelope marked to the attention of Student Accounts.

My company (government, band, etc) is paying some (all) of my fees. What do I need to do?

Can a third party/guest pay my fees?

Yes, if the third party or your guest has access to internet banking, they can set-up McGill University as one of their payees and use your McGill ID as the account number. They do not require a copy of the e-bill to do this, only the amount that they wish to pay.

If you grant your authorized guests access to e-Payment, they can set-up pre-authorized debit agreements to make payments to your student fee account via the e-Payment menu on Minerva.

If I give e-payment privileges to a guest, does it mean that I am no longer responsible for paying my fees?

No, you are always in control of your record, and continue to be responsible for the payment of your fees by the deadline. Interest and late payment fees will apply should payment not be made by a payment deadline, and students are held responsible for these charges. This was the case even before guest access was introduced.

Western Union

Which email address should I provide?

Any email address will do. During the process you may choose to have a copy of the Bank Settlement Instructions sent to the specified email address.

What do I need to bring to the bank to finalize my transaction?

Print out the Bank Settlement Instructions page, which appears in PDF format at the end of the process. It contains all the information needed for your local bank to transfer funds to McGill.

How long will my transaction be stored in memory?

Your transaction will be stored for a month, but remember that the exchange rate is only valid for 72 hours after you approved the transaction in the Western Union application.

Do I need to login before submitting a transaction?

You can access the Western Union link directly from the Making a payment page. You will not need to log in. If you are accessing Western Union through the e-Payments screen in Minerva, then you will need to log into Minerva.

When I try and go back a screen, I get an error message. What happened?

You need to use the Back button that is part of the Western Union application, and not the Back button on your browser. You can find the correct button in the lower left-hand corner. You will need go back to the Western Union link and start the process over.

How much time will it take for my payment to reach my student fee account at McGill?

Once the payment has been made, it will take up to three business days before you will see the payment in your student fee account. With this in mind, make sure to make any payments far enough in advance of the payment due date to avoid being charged interest.

What are the advantages of the Western Union Bank to Bank transfer method of payment vs pre-authorized debit (e-cheque)?

The advantages are that you will know what the exchange rate will be and you will be making a local payment, so there may not be any wire transfer fees from your bank. McGill and Western Union do not charge you for this service. In addition, as of September 1, 2009, the National Automated Clearing House Association (NACHA) requires that we transmit your personal address information with the pre-authorized payment request, which may be contrary to your wishes.

Tax receipts/slips

When can I expect my tax receipts?

Tuition tax receipts (T2202A, Relevé 8) for the calendar years 2002-2016 are available on Minerva.

Please see information on Tax receipts/slips.

Which student-related tax documents are produced in Minerva for me?

T2202A – This is the Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate. Educational institutions use this form to certify a student's eligibility for tuition, education and textbook credit amounts. Students also use it to show transfers of tuition, education and textbook amounts to a designated person. Tax receipt eligible amounts include tuition and ancillary fees which are charged to all students of the university as well as certain ancillary fees charged either at the departmental or faculty level , the latter being limited to a $250 maximum for the tax (calendar) year. Fees which are subject to this maximum are found in the PDF icon chargessubjectto250maxtaxesin2015.pdf file for your convenience. Examples of fees that are not eligible to be included in the tax receipt amount include: the majority of student society charges, field trip fees, health and dental insurance charges (included on the medical receipt) and a variety of course-related charges.

Relevé 8 (Quebec) – Amount for Post-Secondary Studies. This Quebec slip reports;

Box A Permits the student to transfer an amount representing a recognized parental contribution to the child's education (reduced by 80% of the student’s net income for the year) to either or both of their parents. Box A is only completed for full-time studies that corresponds to the student’s situation:

  • $2,130 for a term that was begun in the year and completed;
  • $4,260 for two or more terms that were begun in the year and completed

Box B Reports tuition and other eligible fees (for those still accessing receipts from 2013: in 2013 eligible amount was allocated to Box B1 and B2 depending on the rate of the eligible tax credit related to a particular period of time).

Medical Insurance Receipt – This slip is produced as confirmation of amounts paid for Health and Dental insurance charged by either the University, or on behalf of your student society. It may be added to other medical expenses you may have in the submission of your income tax return.

T4A/Rel 1 Slips - Scholarship Tax Slips (T4A’s and Relève 1) are issued for scholarships, bursaries and awards as well as certain exemption payments that reduce tuition such as MIDAS awards, staff dependent waiver payments, Canadian Merit Scholarships, English as a Second Language summer bursaries and BC Passport to Education scholarships. See the T4A’s and Relevé 1 section of the Tax Slips page for more details. Students are advised to consult this Canada Revenue Agency page for information on who is required to report this amount as income. You should consult your provincial tax authorities for information on treatment of scholarship income on the provincial side.

Taxpayers would be well advised to photocopy or print a duplicate of any receipts to keep with their records in case of a federal or provincial tax audit. To learn more about Post Secondary Education Tax credits, please see the Revenu Quebec Tuition and Examination Fees page. 

Medical residents - Tax questions

What is the tuition fee amount eligible for tax credits?

This amount corresponds to the amount you actually paid out, so $700 a year (if registered for a full year, is pro-rated if registered less than 52 weeks). Since the difference between the fees normally charged by the university and the amount of $700 disbursed by the resident is paid by the establishment or its representative, the excess is not eligible for provincial or federal credits.

Why is there no number of months entered on the T-2202A issued by the university for the federal education credit?

Generally speaking, since January 1, 2004, an individual has been able to claim the amount with respect to education even if he received a salary while pursuing training relating to his job. However, you may not claim the education deduction if your tuition fees have been reimbursed by the employer. Since under the FMRQ MHSS collective agreement the establishment reimburses the university for anything over $700 in fees normally charged by the university, Medical Residents are not entitled to this deduction. It must be noted that newly admitted medical residents can deduct the number of months of Medical Clerkship completed prior to graduation when they were still a medical student (i.e. just that portion of the year).


Where can I find the Automatic Banking Machines (ABMs) on campus?

There are a total of nine Automatic Banking Machines (ABMs) on campus. The 9 machines listed below provide withdrawal and transfer services.

  • Laird Hall entrance, Macdonald Campus
  • Burnside Hall (basement)
  • McIntyre Medical Building (1st floor)
  • McConnell Engineering Building (main floor)
  • Bronfman Building (basement, Cafeteria)
  • 3459 rue McTavish – Redpath (basement, Cafeteria)
  • 3625 avenue du Parc – New Residence Hall (reception)
  • 475 des Pins Avenue West – McGill Sports Complex
  • 688 rue Sherbrooke (2nd floor)

There are many banks in the downtown area that are within easy walking distance from campus. It has been noted that at the beginning of the school year banks in close proximity to the downtown campus experience long line-ups, in particular due to out-of-province students wanting to open accounts. Students who wish to meet with a banking officer are advised to make an appointment to avoid long delays.