Mandate of Fee Advisory Committee
The Fee Advisory Committee (FAC), which is responsible to the Provost, oversees fees charged to students for a range of purposes: administrative functions; non-tuition course or program expenses; tuition fees for deregulated or self-funded programs; and fines and penalties.
The FAC evaluates requests from academic and administrative units to ensure that the fees are justifiable. To that end, the FAC considers budgets and financial statements relevant to the fees as well as the interests of the units, the University and students.
The FAC reviews and approves the annual report to the Quebec Government regarding all fees charged to students. Please see student_fee_advisory_committee_terms_of_reference.pdf and sample_budget_template.xlsx for your reference.
- Deputy Provost (Student Life and Learning)
- Three members from the areas of the Provost’s Office or Administration and Finance, one of which is to act as Secretary
- One (1) member-at-large from the ranked academic staff
- One (1) undergraduate student appointed by the SSMU
- One (1) graduate student appointed by the PGSS
- One (1) continuing studies student appointed by MACES
- One (1) student appointed by the MCSS
In April 2009, a memorandum governing charging fees to students was circulated to all Deans, Directors and Chairs. A copy of that memorandum is attached here for your reference: course_fee_submission_memo_apr09.pdf . The Fee Advisory Committee meetings are scheduled to be held on a monthly basis.
The Request Relating to Non-Tuition Student Fees
The Request Relating to Non-Tuition Student Fees form can be found on the right side of this webpage. Instructions are included in the template.
Tips for making a fee request:
- Be prepared with the information that will be required of you.
- What you will need to know/have:
- - A description of the charge you are requesting;
- - The foapal that will be credited
- - Who is the population to be charged
- - Supporting information such as a budget detailing expenses
- - How you expect the fee to be charged – is it attached to a course, charged to all students in a particular department or program or independent of course registration?
- - For which term are you requesting for the fee to be implemented
- Start the process early so that there is enough time prior to a term beginning to obtain approval.
Note: Course fee request forms should be submitted at least 3 working days before the next meeting in order to be addressed.
Deadlines to submit request for a particular term:
|Fall 2018||February/March 2018|
|Winter 2019||March/April 2018|
|Summer 2018||October/November 2017|