Research and International Relations (RIR) has identified seven key projects that will help McGill achieve its ambitious research goals. Throughout 2012, significant progress has been made toward the following initiatives:
- Providing proximity support to researchers – In this project, we are increasing the amount and quality of Faculty-based support for researchers during the grant application process.
- Build an RIR organization that supports the research enterprise – This project aims to establish a strong, service-oriented research support sector that will respond to the evolving needs of the research community.
- Improve post-award management effectiveness – We are streamlining post-award processes, shortening the time required to access funding and facilitating administrative tasks for researchers. Click here to learn more about how McGill is improving services and support for its researchers.
- Strengthen external relationships – We are working to increase McGill’s influence on external organizations by participating more fully in shaping their agendas.
- Drive collaborations and strategic partnerships – By regrouping and strengthening resources in one place, we aim to increase the number of McGill-led major research initiatives. Two key components of this project are McGill’s new Strategic Research Plan, which was recently finalized and endorsed by Senate, and the McGill Collaborative Research Development Fund, which provides seed funding to support the initial stages of collaborative and interdisciplinary research at the University.
- Launch the McGill University Business Engagement Centre (MUBEC) – We are creating a new group that will serve as a single point of entry for companies looking to partner with McGill. This will maximize the flow of corporate resources to support McGill’s teaching and research mission, whether those resources are generated as gifts, sponsored research contracts, executive education tuition, student recruiting or anything else. The MUBEC team is now in place and meeting with researchers and administrators across McGill, with the official launch slated for early 2013.
- Develop the Quartier de l’Innovation (QI) – By now you have probably heard about the new “innovation ecosystem” that we are developing with École de technologie supérieure. The QI will enhance partnerships between McGill and corporations, public agencies and the community at large. It will be a laboratory for research on the innovation process, focusing on social innovation as well as on technological innovation. Learn more >>