Rehabilitation at McGill
In response to the marked need for rehabilitation specialists in Canada at the time of the Second World War, the School of Physiotherapy was started at McGill University in 1943. It was the first Canadian School to be under the aegis of a Faculty of Medicine. Initially, the School offered a two-year program in physiotherapy plus internship, and was upgraded to a three-year program in 1947. In 1950, Occupational Therapy was introduced in a three- year combined Physical and Occupational Therapy diploma program, followed by two months of internship in each profession. The School was given its present name - School of Physical & Occupational Therapy - the following year. In 1954, McGill introduced Canada's first BSc program in Physical & Occupational Therapy, together with separate diploma programs in Physical Therapy and in Occupational Therapy. Due to the advancement of science and technology and to the increasing emphasis on health care needs of society, the programs have evolved, integrating a greater academic and scientific base over the ensuing decades. Thus, the diploma programs were phased out, allowing for the creation of the BSc degree in Physical Therapy in 1969, and the BSc degree in Occupational Therapy in 1971. The School vigilantly and continuously revises these science-based curricula, to prepare the best qualified graduates for entry into professional practice or advanced studies in rehabilitation. At the graduate level, an MSc (Applied) program in Health Science (Rehabilitation) was initiated in 1972 and formally approved in 1976. To provide the foundation for the development of a doctorate degree, it was changed from an applied to a thesis degree (MSc. Rehab. Sci.) in 1982. Since 1988, the School has offered a PhD program in Rehabilitation Science, the first of its kind in Canada.
Built in 1909 for contractor James T. Davis, this heritage building was designed by architects Edward and W.S. Maxwell. The teaching and research facilities as well as the administrative offices of the School of Physical & Occupational Therapy have been housed here since 1956.
Built in 1901, for Ogilvie Flour Mill founder Charles Hosmer, this heritage building and its coach house have housed teaching and research facilities of the School of Physical & Occupational Therapy since 1969.