Awards, funding & financial aid
Obtaining and maintaining funding throughout your studies is an important component of life as a graduate student. This page contains information on ways to fund yourself throughout your time at the School.
Funding, scholarships & awards
McGill Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies' (GPS) Funding site is McGill's primary hub for all funding opportunities. The site includes information, resources, and directions for applying for funding. Key funding agencies include: SSHRC (Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada), NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada), CIHR (Canadian Institutes of Health Research), FQRSC (Fonds de recherche du Québec - Société et culture), FQRNT (Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies), & FRQS (Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé).
Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies is also responsible for publishing the Graduate Fellowships and Awards Calendar, a catalogue for fellowships available to McGill students and other sources of financial assistance.
Current and incoming students may be interested in the following resources:
- SIS Scholarships, Bursaries & Awards page: lists a wide range of scholarships and awards available through the School and external LIS-related sources.
- Faculty of Education Fellowships & Awards page. Students are strongly encouraged to apply for applicable Faculty awards.
- McGill Career Planning Services (CaPS) Financing page. Includes a link to the extensive CaPS External Scholarships database and resources to assist in drafting applications.
School-allotted travel grants
SIS Internal Travel Grant
The School has limited funding for PhD and MLIS students who are giving a paper or poster presentation at a conference. The maximum funding for each 12 month period is $500. Applications should be given to the Administrative Assistant at least six weeks before the conference. Travel grant forms.
Graduate Research Enhancement and Travel (GREAT) Awards
The School allocates a number of Graduate Research Enhancement and Travel (GREAT) Awards per annum for full-time students, as funded by the Faculty of Education. The value of these varies. Travel grant forms.
GREAT application requirements
- Information on the conference (including a link to conference website, if available).
- Proof of acceptance to conference.
- An abstract of the paper to be presented (1 page maximum).
- Copy of the GREAT application form (see PhD handbook).
- McGill Scholarships & Student Aid Office (SSAO) - Information on financial aid, including bursaries and loans.
International student? International student aid is administered by the SSAO office. The office can also provide assistance with budgeting and navigating the expenses of living and studying in Canada and assist with filling and submitting income tax forms.
Have you received an external award or grant? Please keep the School up to date with your good news!