Practicum site supervisor overview
Thank you for your interest in the McGill School of Information Studies MLIS Practicum program.
The Site Supervisor is the individual who will have primary responsibility for the supervision of the student, and communication with the SIS Practicum Coordinator. As appropriate, this responsibility may be shared with other staff. The supervisor must be a qualified professional:
- Archival Studies – Appropriate training and professional experience in archival studies
- Knowledge Management – Appropriate training and professional experience in knowledge management
- Librarianship – MLIS or equivalent degree
Role and responsibilities
The specific responsibilities of the Site Supervisor include:
- Prepare and submit a practicum site description to the SIS Practicum Coordinator.
- Select interviewees from 2-3 potential students suggested by the Practicum Coordinator. Note: Students are responsible for setting up interview;
- Inform Practicum Coordinator of decision regarding each student.
Practicum Work Plan
- In collaboration with the student, prepare the Agreement Document and Practicum Workplan, found on our practicum forms & documents page.
Orientation, guidance and supervision
- Be available to the student during the practicum for consultation, guidance and supervision.
Evaluation of the student
- Provide evaluation of student performance to Practicum Coordinator (not a grade) using the Mid-Term Evaluation and Final Evaluation forms, found on our practicum forms & documents page.
Communication with the Practicum Coordinator
- At any time, feel free to contact the Practicum Coordinator with any comments, questions, concerns, suggestions, etc.
Note: For a complete list of deadlines and specific dates, please see the practicum dates page.
Invitation for Site Participation
If you are a library or information centre interested in hosting a practicum placement, please contact the Practicum Coordinator.