Read on for more information about events, services, and opportunities for School of Information Studies alumni.
Let's keep in touch!
There are a number of ways you can stay connected with the School. Here are a few:
- Keep your contact information (including your current email!) up to date on McGill's alumni profile page. That way, we can alert you when a new issue of our SIS newlsetter is published, and more.
- Via Facebook. Visiting or "Liking" the School's Facebook page is an easy way to stay abreast of the latest news and events at the School. You can also post SIS or LIS-related items of interest on our Wall. No Facebook account is needed to view our page.
- Attend events! Attending events at SIS is a great way to mingle and to stay abreast of the latest research and ideas in the field.
- Employer. Ready to hire? Think SIS! Posting jobs on our SIS-Jobs Listserv ensures your positions are seen by graduating students and other alumni. You may also be interesting in attending our annual student-run SIS Career Fair run in partnership with the McGill Career Planning Services.
- Practicum host. Many of our alumni keep a connection with the School by supervising bright, up-and-coming information professionals through our Masters-level Practicum program. Learn more.
- Donor. Gifts from our alumni and friends provide valuable support for scholarships and student aid, equipment and infrastructure, and research projects and program development. Support us.
And of course, we love receiving your news and updates via our news submission form!
Each year, McGill hosts a variety of events for alumni at the annual McGill Homecoming. Please see the McGill Homecoming website for more details.
The SIS In Focus Newsletter features news and achievements of our alumni, students, staff, and faculty members and highlights the latest developments at the School.
Be sure to keep your email address up to date with McGill's AOC to ensure you receive notifications of future editions!
Talks & events @ SIS
Throughout the Fall and Winter, the School hosts Research Seminars which highlight innovative research topics and developments in the fields of library and information studies. Alumni are warmly welcomed to attend. Visit our home page for additional talks and events throughout the year.
Benefits & services
One of the best ways to keep connected to the University, and to graduates in 150 countries around the world, is to register for the McGill Alumni Online Community (AOC). The Community is your gateway to worldwide alumni event listings and many exclusive networking features. Once part of the Alumni Online Community, you'll be able to connect with fellow SIS alumni through the online AOC Class Directory. The AOC is where you will keep your contact information up to date.
The McGill Alumni Online Community (AOC) Benefits & Services page is your first stop to view a wide range of alumni services.
Looking for career services? In addition to the AOC's Alumni Career Services, SIS alumni have lifetime access to the McGill myFuture job search and career tools suite free of charge. In addition, McGill Career Planning Service (CaPs) services are free for up to one year after graduation for Master’s or PhD alumni, and for an additional two years for a small fee. Make an appointment to meet with a CaPS graduate career advisor for assistance at any stage of your job search.
The School offers two programs designed for the professional development of MLIS graduates: a 15-credit Graduate Certificate in Information Studies and a 30-credit Graduate Diploma in Information Studies. These programs allow professional librarians and information specialists currently holding an ALA-accredited MLIS or equivalent Master's degree to stay abreast of current developments in the field of information studies and to update their qualifications for advanced responsibility.
If you are interested in organizing an alumni reunion, we welcome you to contact the Faculty of Education's Development & Alumni Relations for additional support.
A selection of our past Homecoming events and reunions:
- Homecoming Class Reunion 2010, Class of ’75 MLS
- Class Reunion 2009, Class of '89 MLIS
- Vancouver Dinner 2008
- Homecoming 2007 & 50th Jubilee, Class of '57
Visit the Faculty of Education's Development & Alumni Relations website to find out more about supporting the faculty, news and events, past alumni events and photo gallery, alumni updates, and more.