SCPD Terms of Reference
About the Committee
Terms of Reference
The Committee on Physical Development is a Standing Committee of Senate charged with advising on the nature of physical development as it reflects the academic priorities and needs of the University.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
The Committee shall:
1. Advise Senate on the extent to which major physical development projects on campus reflect the academic plans and priorities of the University as expressed in the principles defining the University’s Master Plan.
These nine principles are:
- facilitate a dynamic intellectual community
- achieve strategic growth
- reinforce campus identities
- support excellence in research, teaching and learning
- invest in priority service areas
- conserve and build upon strengths of historic buildings and landscapes
- provide appropriate facilities and infrastructure
- improve campus accessibility
- develop and maintain the campus open spaces for maximum benefit.
2. Consider possible modifications to the Master Planning principles over time.
3. Appoint subcommittees and workgroups that may assist the Committee in carrying out its mandate, and to dissolve them as necessary.
4. Monitor trends in the use, for academic purposes, of facilities, including those not located on the main campuses, to receive reports on these facilities and to advise Senate and the Associate Vice-Principal (University Services) on such matters.
5. Report on the Committee’s deliberations and to submit the appropriate recommendations, on behalf of Senate, to the Board of Governors Building and Property Committee.
6. The Committee shall meet at least four times per year and report annually to Senate.
The Associate Vice-Principal (University Services) – Chair
The Provost or delegate
The Associate Vice-Principal (Macdonald Campus)
The Director of the Gault Nature Reserve
The Trenholme Director of Libraries or delegate
Eight representatives of Senate approved by Senate on the recommendation of Senate Nominating Committee
Two undergraduate students
One graduate student
One student representative of Macdonald Campus
Sources: Senate Minute 90, March 21, 1973
Senate Minute 49, November 27, 1974
Amendments: Senate Minute 14, September 30, 1992
Senate Minute 30, November 4, 1992
Senate Minute 21, October 12, 1994
Senate Minute 118, May 3, 1995
Senate Minute 120, May 15, 1996
Senate Minute 9, October 9, 1996
Senate Minute 10, November 5, 1997
Senate Minute 7, May 20, 1998
Senate Minute 6, March 8, 2000
Senate Minute 8, May 10, 2000
Senate Minute 6, May 24, 2001
Senate Minute 10, October 10, 2001
Senate Minute 12, March 13, 2002
Senate Minute 7, May 14, 2003
Senate Minute 10, March 17, 2004
Senate Minute 7, March 8, 2006
Senate Minute 10, May 24, 2006
Senate Minute 9, October 11, 2006
Senate Minute IIB4.2, May 20, 2009
Individuals identified by the Committee for specific agenda items, possibly including, but not limited to, the following:
Chairs of Subcommittees
Associate Director, University Safety (Environmental Health and Safety)
Director, Planning and Institutional Analysis
Director, Office for Students with Disabilities
Director, Athletics and Recreation
Executive Director, Facilities Operations
Executive Director, Residence Administration