Information on: Requirements| Where can I study | Application process/course approval | Explore Program | Distance education courses | Apply and enrol at host university | Before you go | While away | Transfer credits | Cancelling study away request
If you would like to take a summer course at another Quebec University please see Study at Another Quebec University.
Studying at another university during the summer months allows you the opportunity to take a few courses away from McGill while experiencing a new city or culture.
U3 STUDENTS: If you are taking any courses outside of McGill during the Summer months and you are graduating, YOU WILL NOT be able to graduate at the end of the summer and must select the term of graduation (on Minerva) to the next Fall term (which is the next February graduation).
Note to American students regarding federal student aid: Students who taking distance education (online courses), research abroad, Official McGill Exchange or a Study Abroad program, please review the rules and regulations on the Scholarships and Student Aid website or go to the Scholarships and Student Aid office, Brown Building.
Requirements to study away at another university during the Summer:
Students in any year of studies, U0 to U3, are permitted to take summer courses at another university if you meet the following academic criteria:
- You are currently registered in a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts & Science degree program at McGill and your program(s) of study are accurately reflected on your Minerva transcript.
- You have a CGPA of 2.00 or greater.
- You are permitted to take an overall maximum of 12 credits during the Summer session, including courses taken at McGill during the summer.
- All courses taken outside of McGill must be approved (using the Course Equivalency System) and all courses must be entered on the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment form.
Only universities which have confirmed, or will confirm, the following criteria to our office in writing are, or may be, approved:
Please review the website for Options for Studying Abroad.
A. You can select any of the already approved universities from our List of approved Host Universities.
B. You can choose to study at a different university and request that the Science Office for Undergraduate Student Advising (SOUSA) consider it for approval. You must supply detailed information about the university as indicated on the Request Approval Host Institution form. You must submit your request to mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca (Mary Gauthie)mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca (r). If the institution meets the Science Faculty's criteria it may be approved as a suitable study away destination and may be added to the approved university listing.
C. You can learn French through the government-sponsored Explore Bursary Program. See specific information on this program below.
D. Another Option to consider is the summer program offered by McGill University.
Important Information on applying for a study away:
1. You MUST register and attend an accredited, degree-granting university;
2. This SAME university MUST provide the official transcript of studies (third party "school of record" transcripts are not acceptable);
3. The venue of studies is the campus of the accredited university or college, a language centre (which has been approved by the corresponding McGill University language department), or an academic program which is field-based;
4. SOUSA WILL NOT approve study away requests involving any Study Abroad and/or Intermediary Organizations.
- Abroadco Study Abroad, Academic Programs International (API), American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS), Arcadia University, Centers for Interamerican Studies (CEDEI), Council on International Educational Exchanges (CIEE), Cultural Experiences Abroad (CEA), Danish Institute for Study Abroad (DIS), Expanish, Greenpeace Organization, Institute for Study Abroad (ISA), Institute for the International Education of Students (IES), Institute of American Universities, Institute for Shipboard Education (ISE), International Partnership for Service Learning and Leadership (IPSL), International Studies Abroad (ISA), Living Routes, Mexico Solidarity Network (MSN), Road2Argentina, School of Field Studies (SFS), School of International Training (SIT), Woodenfish Project, World Bank Institute, Sotheby's Institute of Art, SIE International Summer School.
5. Unless otherwise indicated, universities are approved for "On campus studies" only.
Failure to have your host university/institution approved by SOUSA may result in NOT receiving transfer credits for courses taken elsewhere. Approval by a department or program adviser outside of SOUSA is a recommendation only and is NOT the final decision.
You can learn French through the government-sponsored Explore Bursary Program.
- You should consult the Explore Bursary Program website to determine the course you wish to take (see below for a list of institutions that are not acceptable for transfer credit).
- You must submit a Minerva Summer Study Away application and you MUST indicate in the comment section that you wish to take a course through the "Explore Bursary Program" and the course must be pre-approved using the Course Equivalency System.
- If you are accepted for the Explore Bursary Program you must confirm registration at the host institution, and then email: mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca (Mary Gauthier) to indicate acceptance into the Explore Bursary Program.
- Your Minerva Summer Study Away application will then be approved.
- In early July, a notation of "Inter-University Explore Pgm" will be added to your Minerva transcript.
- Upon completion of the program, you must request an official copy of the transcript be sent to the following address:
Enrolment Service, Student Records
3415 McTavish Street, Room MS 13
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- A post-test must be arranged upon your return to McGill through the French Language Centre.
The following institutions are not acceptable for transfer credits:
CEGEP de Rivière-du-Loup
CEGEP de Trois-Rivières
Centre linguistique du Collège de Jonquière
Collège Boréal au Nipissing
La Cité collégiale
University of Victoria (Division of Continuing Studies)
University of Saskatchewan
Study Away Application Process:
Step 1: Apply online, the Minerva application is available from February 1st to July 15th.
Step 2: Have your course(s) approved using the Course Equivalency System
All courses taken outside of McGill must be approved using the Course Equivalency System. In order for your Summer Study Away application to be approved, all courses must also be entered on the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment form.
- Search the database to determine if the course has already been approved. You may want to use the “External” course number and then “Country” or “Institution” to determine if the course has already been approved. Make sure you also tick off “Include Expired Decisions”. The course may have already been approved, but might be expired, which means you will have to request a “Reassessment”.
- If the course is not on the course database, then you must login (using your McGill email address and password) and “Submit a Request”. For further information on using the system, please go to Frequently asked questions. The name of the University must appear on the course syllabus, as well the year that the course syllabus was written must be indicated.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca (Mary Gauthier).
NOTE: You will not be able to print a "Letter of Permission" without completing the steps listed above.
Distance Education/Online Course:
- You must receive permission from the Director of Advising Services (SOUSA) to take an online course.
- Online courses must be approved (before being taken) by the Faculty of Science (even if the course has been approved on the Course Equivalency System). Send a detailed current course syllabus to mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca. The Faculty of Science has the right to request a course syllabus (even if the course is approved on the course equivalency system).
- If the course is approved by the Faculty of Science, then you log on to Minerva and apply for a Summer Term Away.
- You must review the Course Equivalency System, and if the course is not on the system, then you must submit a request for a course equivalency (see more detailed information above).
- The course must then be added to the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment form.
A maximum of six (6) transfer credits from online courses towards the fulfillment of elective credits ONLY.
Step 3: Apply and enrol at host university
- Apply DIRECTLY to the host university as a visiting student (or their equivalent to a non-degree student status) according to their process and deadlines.
- Wait for "Faculty Approval" on BOTH your Minerva Study Away application and your Transfer Credit Assessment form.
- With your application, submit the Letter of Permission and any other required documents. An official Letter of Permission can be printed from your Minerva Study Away application once "Faculty Approval" status has been granted. Click the "Generate letter" link on the form.
- Once you are offered admission, register in courses according to the registration dates made available to you.
Before Studying Away:
A. Meet with your Program Adviser(s) and your SOUSA Adviser: If you are planning to take courses which you want to have count toward your program(s) requirements, you are required to meet with each of your program advisers. Consult the list of Departmental_Advisers for each program and/or department.
- Discuss your selected host university and the list of courses you plan to take.
- Discuss your required and complementary courses, and any alternatives, which you want to count toward your departmental programs at McGill.
- Discuss elective courses with your SOUSA adviser and possible exemptions from specific McGill courses as a result of your study away;
- Determine the status of your McGill program requirements. In other words, which courses have you completed and which remain to be completed? Can they be completed at another university? Are you abiding to the "1/3rd credit rule"?
- When choosing host university courses you must follow the criteria required to have the credits transfer toward your McGill degree; refer to TRANSFER CREDIT, A. COURSE CRITERIA
B. Review Faculty Policies: Since your participation in a Study Away program may be affected by certain faculty policies, use the following links to read and understand about Science or Arts courses and degree requirements:
General degree requirements:
NOTE: It is your responsibility to read and understand these policies and regulations. You cannot make any appeals resulting from a lack of knowledge or understanding of these policies.
At the host University
A. Keep all course materials; i.e., exam questions, graded work, methods of evaluation, reading lists, etc.
B. Official Transcript: Order an official final transcript from the host university to be sent directly to
3415 McTavish Street, Room MS 13
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3A 0C8.
Transferring the credits
Once your studies at the host university are completed and you have arranged for an official transcript to be mailed to the Records Office (address above), the transfer credit process will begin. Please refer to TRANSFER CREDITS, C. Policies and Regulations, for details.
A. Transfer Credits: You must receive a passing grade of "C", or better, at the host university. Grades of C-, Pass (P) and Satisfactory (S) will not be accepted for transfer credits. Please refer to TRANSFER CREDIT, B. COURSE CRITERIA for the complete transfer credit policy.
B. You cannot assume that you will receive 3 credits for a course equivalency even if the course is 3 credits at McGill. The Faculty of Science has the final approval for all credits granted and courses taken by a B.Sc. or B.A. & Sc. student outside of McGill.
Cancelling your study away request?
If you have been approved for summer courses at another university but end up NOT taking courses, you MUST cancel your request with the SOUSA Office, no later than August 1st. Please send an email to mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca (Mary Gauthier). Failure to cancel your Summer Term Away will prevent you from making changes to your Minerva record for the Fall term.
B. Host university:
Make sure, that you have cancelled your registration at the host university; otherwise, you will be charged for the courses, and you will receive a failing grade at the end of the Summer term.
Science Office for Undergraduate Student Advising (SOUSA) Coordinates
All correspondence relating to STUDY AWAY:
Faculty of Science (SOUSA)
Dawson Hall, Room 405
853 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC, H3A 0G5
ATT: SOUSA STUDY AWAY/TRANSFER CREDIT COORDINATOR
Telephone number: 514-398-5442
FAX number: 514-398-8102
EMAIL: mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca (Mary Gauthier)