Quick Links

Study away and Exchanges

Studying away from McGill is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity whose benefits can go far beyond academic learning. The opportunity to study at another university can add significant dimensions to your undergraduate education by enabling you to develop broader perspectives on your fields of study, to enhance skills in cross-cultural communication and critical thinking applicable to your everyday life and provide you with a chance for personal growth.

GRADUATING STUDENTS: As of the Summer 2011 term, students who are on any type of study away during their graduating term WILL NOT be able to graduate at the end of their final term; instead, these students must select a graduation term (on Minerva) for the term following their study away.

Options for study away


McGill Student Exchange Programs for the 2015/2016 Academic Year

Independent Study Away at a University Outside of Quebec for 2015/2016 Academic Year

Study at a Quebec University (IUT): Summer 2015, Fall 2015 or Winter 2016.

Summer Studies (2015) at a University Outside of Quebec

Reference material for students and advisers

  • Course equivalency System
    All courses must be entered onto the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment form.
    Check course database first before submitting a request on the course equivalency database.
    You cannot assume that you will receive 3 credits for a course equivalency even if the course is 3 credits at McGill.
  • List of approved host Universities:  A listing of universities which are approved for Independent Study Away requests. If a university is not listed, it may not have been requested or it may not be approved for transfer credits. Refer to: Independent Study Away, Step 2, for details about how to request approval for a university that is not on the list.
  • Basic Math and Sciences Course Equivalence table A table of equivalent course work from other universities to be used as a guide. Courses that were evaluated before 2010 (or no date) must be re-evaluated by the corresponding Department.
  • If you are planning on taking a Chemistry course this summer or during the academic year, which has a lab component,  you must provide to the departmental adviser the required documentation in order to have the lab course properly evaluated: chemistry_lab_courses.pdf.
  • McGill's Partner Institution for Exchange Programs A listing of McGill's partner institutions available for exchange programs for the fall 2015 and/or winter 2016 academic year. 

Study-away advising sessions

If you have SPECIFIC questions concerning your Study Abroad options which are NOT answered on this website, feel free to drop in during one of the advising sessions.

Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts & Science students: may come during Drop-in Hours. session and ask to see Mary Gauthier. Please go to Room 405 in Dawson Hall.