1. Readmission to the same degree after an absence
Students requesting readmission to the same degree after an absence of an academic term or more must submit an electronic readmission application. The on-line application will be available as of March 4th through the Student Records menu once you have logged into Minerva. Supporting documents, if applicable, must be sent separately to Ms. Jane Hawes, Assistant to the Director of Advising Services (SOUSA) at Dawson Hall, Room 405.
- Students should state the reasons for their absence from the University and give a summary of their activities during that period. Requests must be submitted before June 12th for readmission for the Summer Session, July 1st for September readmission and November 15th for January readmission.
- Students who withdrew because of illness should provide a medical note stating that they are ready to resume their studies.
- Students who studied elsewhere during their absence from McGill must submit a copy of their transcript to Ms. Jane Hawes, Assistant to the Director of Advising Services, SOUSA Office, Dawson Hall, Room 405. Additionally, students must request that their previous institution send an official transcript to the same address.
- Students should also be aware of time limits for the completion of degrees.
2. Readmission and transfer to a different degree
Students who are seeking readmission and transfer to another faculty MUST use the "readmission" application module on Minerva (see New Inter-faculty Transfer Procedures: Transfer. The deadlines for readmission and transfer applications are different. It is important if you are applying for readmission and transfer into the Faculty of Science, that you indicate on the "student comment" the group that you would like to apply to.
3. Readmission for students in unsatisfactory standing
If your most recent standing was unsatisfactory as indicated on Minerva, readmission is granted only when proof of extenuating circumstances that affected your academic performance can be provided (e.g. medical or other documentation). You must apply for readmission through the electronic readmission application. The on-line application will be available as of March 4th through the Student Records menu once you have logged into Minerva. Supporting documents, if applicable, must be sent separately to Ms. Jane Hawes, Assistant to the Director of Advising Services, SOUSA Office at Dawson Hall, Room 405.
- Give your name, student number, telephone no., email address, and the last academic session you attended.
- Describe the extenuating circumstances which affected your academic performance. Provide supporting documents (e.g. doctor's letter, employer's letter) where appropriate.
- Explain how the problems you experienced would be under control or no longer applicable if you were readmitted. In the case of poor performance due to medical problems, provide medical documentation confirming that your health is now such that you are able to continue your studies.
- If you did not attend McGill University during the last academic term or year, provide a summary of your activities while you were away and indicate whether you studied elsewhere during this time. If you studied elsewhere, submit a copy of your transcript to Ms. Jane Hawes, Assistant to the Director of Advising Services (SOUSA), Dawson Hall, Room 405, and have your previous institution send an official transcript to the same address.
- Before you submit your request for readmission, please consult the material on self-assessment as this will help you describe your situation and improve your performance if you are readmitted.
- If you have any further questions, please consult Ms. Jane Hawes, Assistant to the Director of Advising Services (SOUSA).
- Students wishing to return for the summer term must submit their requests by June 12th; for the Fall term must submit their requests by July 1st; and for the Winter term, requests must be submitted by November 15th.
Please note that decisions to be readmitted are made independently of financial information. If outstanding fees or fines are owed to the University, registration will not be permitted even if readmission has been granted.
The electronic application and appeal are automatically delivered. All supporting documentation should be sent to:
Faculty of Science (SOUSA)
c/o Ms. Jane Hawes
Dawson Hall, Room 405
853 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Quebec H3A 0G5