Registration for First-Year Seminars is limited to students in their first year of study at McGill, i.e., newly admitted students in U0 or U1. These courses are designed to provide a closer interaction with professors and better working relations with peers than is available in large introductory courses. These seminars endeavour to teach the latest scholarly developments and expose participants to advanced research methods. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. The maximum number of students in any seminar is 25, although some are limited to even fewer than that.
Students may take only one First-Year Seminar, either from the Faculty of Science or the Faculty of Arts listings. Students who register for more than one will be obliged to withdraw from all but one of them. Below is the complete listing for 2014-2015:
- CHEM 199 FYS: Why Chemistry?
- EPSC 199 FYS: Earth & Planetary Explor.
- PSYT 199 FYS: Mental Illness&The Brain
- GERM 197 FYS: Images of Otherness
- HIST 195 FYS: Sources of World History
- HIST 198 FYS:Nation Bldg&Nationalism
- ISLA 199 FYS: Narr of the Middle East
- ITAL 199 FYS:Italy\'s Lit in Context
- JWST 199 FYS:Images-Jewish Identities
- LLCU 199 FYS: Literary Animals