The Faculty of Science Dean's Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research List recognizes Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) and (effective as of October 2013 graduation) Bachelor of Arts and Science (B.A. & Sc.) students who have participated in substantial and broad undergraduate science research.
To be placed on the Faculty of Science Dean's Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research List at graduation time, a student must:
- complete at least 9 credits of research-based courses, taken for a letter grade,
- where qualifying courses are either specified in the list of approved science research courses,
- or are pre-approved by the Faculty of Science, for other undergraduate science research courses.
Furthermore, considering all qualifying science research-based courses on your transcript at graduation time:
- at least one course, worth at least 3 credits, must be from a different unit than the other research-based courses; and
- every qualifying course must have been completed with a grade of C or above; and
- the average GPA over all qualifying courses must be 3.0 or above.
If these requirements are met, the mention "Dean's Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research List" will be recorded on the student's transcript at graduation time.
No application is necessary for students who have taken courses from the approved list; all B.Sc. and B.A. & Sc. graduating students' records are considered by the Office for Undergraduate Research in Science.
In exceptional circumstances, if students have taken a science research course not already on the approved list, and wish for this course to be counted toward the Dean's Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research List, they must apply. A qualifying course involves a science research project as its primary focus, culminating in a substantive written report. Ineligible courses include: reading courses; BASC 396 and BASC 449; and courses offered by the Faculty of Arts. For information on how to apply, students should contact the Office for Undergraduate Research in Science at least 4 months prior to graduation (e.g., February 1, for June graduation; July 1, for November graduation; August 1, for February graduation).