Mini-Science is a unique seven-week public lecture series featuring McGill biologists, chemists, geographers, and geologists. This series focuses on how scientists work with and for sustainability. Registration is now closed.
Mini-Science will take place over seven Wednesday evenings, from February 22 to April 12, 2017. (There is no lecture on March 1.)
Easy access, with underground parking available (see below for details).
Lectures will be presented in English mais nous vous invitons à poser vos questions en français.
This Mini-Science series is made possible through the generous support of Dr. Lorne Trottier.
Schedule and speakers
- Sustainable food systems for global food security
February 22. Prof. Hugo Melgar-Quiñonez, Institute for Global Food Security.
- No lecture.
March 1. Reading week
- Biodiversity Change and Sustainability in the Anthropocene
March 8. Prof. Andy Gonzalez, Department of Biology
- Sustainability and development in China: a view from the household level
March 15. Prof. Brian Robinson, Department of Geography & Program in Sustainability, Science and Society
- Sustainable urban transport: challenges and opportunities
March 22. Prof. Kevin Manaugh, Department of Geography & School of Environment
- The sustainability of water in the Andes
March 29. Prof. Jeff McKenzie, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
- Doing chemistry with less - How chemistry can help a more sustainable economy
April 5. Prof. Audrey Moores, Department of Chemistry
- ‘Slash-and-Burn’ agriculture in Amazonia: the good, the bad and the... sustainable?
April 12. Prof. Oliver Coomes, Department of Geography
Time and location
- Seven Wednesday evenings, from February 22 to April 12, 2017
(There is no lecture on March 1.)
- 6:00 to 6:30 PM — Registration and refreshments
- 6:30 to 8:00 PM — Lecture with Q&A
- Room 422, Bronfman Building. 1001 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal.
- $114.97 for the series (includes all taxes).
- $68.98 for students and seniors 65+ (includes all taxes).
- Registration is now closed.
- No refunds after February 15, 2017.
- Underground parking available in garage of the Bronfman Building, accessible from the lanes off Peel Street, just north of Sherbrooke Street. There is no elevator access to the garage but there is a staircase leading up to the ground floor of the Bronfman Building. There is a pay station machine in the garage which accepts cash or credit card payment (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) for parking. There is also a machine at the exit which accepts credit card payment. A customer must press the green button on the entry terminal inside the garage to get an entry ticket and pay for this when leaving at either the pay station or exit terminal. Please note that the exit terminal does not issue a receipt.
- Lectures will be presented in English mais nous vous invitons à poser vos questions en français.
- mini [dot] science [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Send us an email) or
- Phone us at 514-398-8886