All applications and proposals in McGill’s name must be reviewed and signed off by the Office of Sponsored Research to be considered valid.
For more information on McGill signing policies, consult this document: Signing Authority, Regulations Relating to the Approval of Contracts.
Depending on the complexity of the proposal, please provide documents 3 to 5 business days before deadlines. Longer lead times may apply in certain situations. Late applications may be withheld and are subject to modification in scope and budget.
Please contact an OSR officer if you require more information.
Guide to application signature requirements
- Applicant. The applicant certifies that the information provided in the application is true, complete and consistent with institutional policies to the best of the applicant's knowledge. The signature of the applicant indicates acceptance of academic, professional, and scientific responsibility for the project, as well as agreement to comply with the regulations and policies of the University and sponsor.
- Co-applicant. In addition to the above, the co-applicant's signature(s) indicates that he or she agrees that the Principal Applicant will administer the project on behalf of the group or team.
- Department chair, institute director, Dean/Associate Dean of Research or delegate of faculty (where applicable). This signature indicates that the applicant is a staff member at the University eligible to apply for external funding and that the applicant has time, space and the basic facilities available to carry out the proposed research. It also indicates willingness to recommend leave or other special arrangements as specified in the application. If the signatures of the chair and/or dean are not required on the application itself, they MUST appear on the OSR Checklist [.pdf].
- Dean. The signature of the dean/delegate is required for non-departmentalized faculties. Internal policies may also require the dean's signature for certain faculties. This signature should appear on the application and/or OSR Checklist [.pdf].
- McGill affiliated hospitals. If the project is to be administered by a hospital, consult the appropriate research institute for signatures. If administered by the OSR, but research is to take place at a hospital, 1 through 4 above apply. The signature of the director of the hospital (or delegate) must appear on the OSR Checklist [.pdf], and indicates that the hospital is aware of the research to be undertaken and will provide all necessary support facilities.
- Final signature by University Officer. Whether required by the sponsor or not, final signature on behalf of the University must be obtained in the Office of Sponsored Research for all projects administered by the University.
- underwrites the departmental and faculty commitment;
- confirms that the institution will accept and administer funds in accordance with agreed terms and conditions or will negotiate acceptable terms if these are not established at the time of application; and
- when applicable, indicates that the project use of animals, human subjects, radioactive materials and biological research hazards has been or will be reviewed by the appropriate University ethics committee.
The above signatures are also required for applications submitted electronically (e-submission or email).