The Networks of Centres of Excellence, or NCE, provides targeted funds in areas of strategic importance to Canada: advanced technologies; engineering and manufacturing; health, human development and biotechnology; and environment and natural resources.
In partnership with Industry Canada, the NCE is jointly administered by Canada's three granting agencies: The Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
Launched in 1989 to manage the original Network of Centres of Excellence, today the NCE Secretariat runs four national programs:
- Networks of Centres of Excellence;
- Centres of Excellence for Commercialization and Research (CECR);
- Business-Led Networks of Centres of Excellence (BL-Networks); and
- Industrial Research and Development Internship Program (IRDI).
- Current NCE competitions. Detailed information on current competitions can be found on the NCE Secretariat Competitions website. Established centres sometimes run open competitions for funding on an ad hoc basis. These can be found by visiting the websites of the specific networks.
For more information, please contact the Office of Sponsored Research.