Some agencies or offices such as Health Canada, funding agencies, Thesis Office or other institutional and governmental bodies request that a certificate be supplied. Do not confuse with the animal handlers training certificates for the theory and practical courses; what they require is a certificate that there is a valid Animal Use Protocol for the project. To dowload a copy of your Animal Certificate, please follow the steps below.
Every aspect of the animal protocol management is entirely on-line in Darwin. There is an Animal Certificate issued for every year of the project and it is attached to the protocol at final approval processing time, starting when the on-line software went live. The go-live dates per site were:
Douglas – October 20 2011
Lady Davis Institute/Jewish General Hospital – November 15 2011
Montreal General Hospital – December 22 2011
Montreal Children Hospital – January 18 2012
Royal Victoria Hospital – February 10 2012
Montreal Neurological Institute – February 28 2012
Macdonald Campus – March 14 2012
Downtown A Campus– April 16 2012
Downtown B Campus– May 9 2012
Shriners Hospital – May 16 2012
Note that prior to the above dates, protocols were not in Darwin therefore the old system applies which means that the cover page(s) of the paper approved Animal Use Protocol, up to the signature section, constituted the Animal Certificate.
To get a copy of the Animal Certificate in Darwin
1. Once logged-into Darwin, you are in your Homepage, select from the options in the bottom of the page, the one called "Protocol Search" by clicking on it:
2. You are presented with a series of filters. This is practical in cases when you have many protocols and need to narrow it down. You can just click the button in the bottom labelled "Search" and you will get a list of all your protocols or you can type the protocol number in the field called "Protocol Number" and click the "Search" button:
3. From the list (or single item) you get, click on the protocol number of the one you want:
4. Opening the protocol for viewing:
5. The protocol opens into a very long file with the Table of Content in the beginning. Every item is hyperlink so you can jump right to the section called "2 - Protocol Title" or you can scroll down until you get there. At the bottom of the Title section, there are files. Choose the Animal Certificate for the current period (don't forget, there will be old and new ones in this list of files). Either open in your browser, save the file or print as you normally do with Web files.
6. The Certificates are all in Adobe pdf format looking like this: