Quick Links


General Information

All Animal Protocol related Word forms have been discontinued. Animal Use Protocols applications and amendments are now in a fully Web based electronic software called Darwin. Please consult the Darwin software section for more information, request for access, instruction manuals, navigational videos and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). 

Optional table for animal number justification to use in Darwin

In some cases, the use of a table is useful to explain the number and type of animals requested. It is optional (unless the committee requires it). You may download, complete and attached to the full protocol in the section "19 - Justification For Number Requested" using the attachment feature on the bottom of that page in Darwin. If you are submitting a short Annual Review, you can email the table to the committee coordinator.

This form is loosely based on the old paper form:

Peer Review process

In June 2008, for some Faculties and Research Institutes, the peer review process changed. Applicable to all Facility Animal Care Committees (FACCs), the Animal Care Committees will not be administering this process anymore. For projects funded by non-peer-reviewed sources, a researcher must request independent peer review from the Associate Dean of his/her Faculty or from the Director or Associate Director of the Research Institute of his/her Affiliated Hospital. Go to the Peer Review section for contact information.


Non-Animal-Use-Protocol Forms and documents:

Body Condition Score (BCS):

Body Condition Score Outline[.doc]

Form for Trainer to certify trainee for species other than rodent/rabbit:

Certification for Non-rodent Non-rabbit Training[.doc]

Aquatic animals and CFIA importation permits

If you plan to import aquatic animals (such as Zebrafish), you must verify if the animal you want is listed as a susceptible species, which would require applying for an Aquatic Animal Health Import Permit from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). The list of susceptible species is posted on their site at:


The application for importation is submitted to the CFIA via permission [at] inspection [dot] qc [dot] ca using their form http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/forms-and-publications/forms-catalogue/form-cfia-acia-5670/eng/1413291957940/1413291959675

For more information, visit the CFIA site at http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/imports/eng/1299156741470/1320599337624



The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is seeking feedback from Canadians on their plan to fine for non-compliance that will cover all food, plant health and animal health sectors. Consultation closes December 18, 2016If you want to voice your suggestions and opinions, please read the draft policy and complete the short questionnaire on their site http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/accountability/consultations-and-engagement/amps/eng/1479265849671/1479265897031 .


Controlled drugs:

Requests for an exemption on the use of a controlled drugs to use in research is by applying to Health Canada; application forms are available at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hc-ps/substancontrol/exemptions/index-eng.php  For more information, see http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/contact/dhp-mps/hecs-dgsesc/ocs-bsc-eng.php .  

Our institutional SOP #401 on Controlled drugs is found at: http://www.mcgill.ca/research/researchers/compliance/animal/sop#experimental . Dispensing form for narcotics and controlled drugs (drug log) is at the end of the SOP #401.

Checklist for committee members when visiting laboratories and animal facilities (optional):

Checklist for visits of labs and facilities - short form.doc


Forms from other sources

Forms for animal importation, services, workshop registration and other animal management related matters from the Comparative Mecidine Animal Resources Centre (CMARC):

On Web site at: https://www.mcgill.ca/cmarc/home


Occupational health program for animal related activities form (McGILL):

The Occupational Health Program for Animal Related Studies for McGill staff and student is now administered by the Environmental Safety Office. Please consult their Web site for details and application: http://www.mcgill.ca/ehs/laboratory/ohs/animals.

For faculty and technicians in Affiliated Hospital's Research Institutes, please consult your local Health Office.


Biohazard and Radioisotope forms:

These forms are obtained from the McGill Environmental Safety Office's website at www.mcgill.ca/ehs/forms/


Material Transfer Agreements (MTA)

Contact a paralegal in the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) at (514) 398-7187. This person is in charge of: Legal/corporate research, Analyzing and researching legal issues, Material transfer agreements, Confidentiality agreements and License compliance.



The 3 Rs, Replacement, Reduction and Refinement

Before you start your project, you must look at 3 important things regarding the need to involve animals in your project. Please take the time to explore the CCAC Three Rs Microsite at http://3rs.ccac.ca/ to assist you in replacing the use of animals with alternatives, reducing the number of animals to be involved and to refine procedures, conditions and experimental design in regards to animal welfare.

See general examples of replacement: http://3rs.ccac.ca/en/research/replacement/

See general examples of reduction: http://3rs.ccac.ca/en/research/reduction/

See general examples of refinement: http://3rs.ccac.ca/en/research/refinement/



Guideline on explaining animal numbers in section “19 – Justification for Animal Numbers” and example


Investigators should clearly justify the number of animals per strain needed for the experiments described in this protocol for the coming year.


Based on these experimental numbers, the investigator is to list separately the number of animals generated by breeding to obtain the experimental numbers. They should take into consideration the standard number for animals generated through breeding for the specific strain: for example, a single breeding couple of mice can generate on average 72 pups per year (1 female x 12 litters x 6 pups/litter).


The investigator is responsible for estimating how many breeding couples will be necessary to obtain the experimental animals carrying the right genotype, while taking into account the complexity of the breeding scheme necessary to achieve the genotype needed.




Analysis of 10 different axonal projections in 6 wild type and 6 mutant mice to perform statistical analysis on results (10 projections x 2 strains x 6 mice =120 mice needed for analysis).



Wild type mice: One breeding pair will be maintained for this strain. Each breeding couple will generate 72 pups per year. (1 breeding pair x 72 pups + 2 breeding mice = 74 mice)


Mutant mice: Two breeding pairs will be maintained for this line. Only 1 in 4 pups will have the desired genotype. They are poor breeders; each breeding couple will generate 40 pups only per year. (2 breeding pairs x 40 pups x 4 of different genotypes + 4 breeding mice =  324 mice)


Total number of mice requested is 398.


 Confidentiality Agreement Forms


If you need a confidentiality agreement form for employees or students of McGill University or an Affiliated Hospital Research Institute, please use: Microsoft Office document icon Confidentiality Agreement - blank form Feb 2016 version

If you need a confidentiality agreement form for people who are not employees or students of McGill University or an Affiliated Hospital Research Institute, please use: Microsoft Office document icon Confidentiality Agreement - General Purpose - blank form Feb 2016 version