The Students Society of McGill University elections are finally over after a second round of voting. Alam Alli will be the new SSMU president, after successfully appealing his disqualification during the first round of voting.
Rounding out the new slate are Sameen Shahid (VP Clubs and Services), Mark Sward (VP Communications and Events), Anthony DiCarlo (VP Operations) and Andrew Bryan (VP University Affairs). New senators are Laila Nurmohamed and Jesse Pasternak (Science) and Kalanga Joffres and Ayesha Ali (Management).
Canada Research Chairs
Left to right: Associate Provost Stuart Price, Veterans Affairs Minister John McCallum, Canada Research Chairs Executive Director René Durocher, Dean of Science Alan Shaver, and Canada Research Chair in Experimental Nanomechanics Roland Bennewitz in his lab in the Department of Physics. Owen Egan
McGill's five newest Canada Research Chairs were announced Wednesday, April 7. They are:
- Roland Bennewitz, Canada Research Chair in Experimental Nanomechanics, Department of Physics
- Aashish Clerk, Canada Research Chair in Theoretical Mesoscopic Physics, Department of Physics
- Erik Cook, Canada Research Chair in the Physiology of Visual Perception, Department of Physiology
- Pierre Magistretti, Canada Research Chair in Psychiatric Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry
- Phillip Servio, Canada Research Chair in Gas Hydrates, Department of Chemical Engineering