Department of Psychiatry Graduate Student awards:
For research related to disorders that affect young people
- Psychiatry Residents Research Award (for McGill psychiatry residents, valued at $10,000.00 / year, renewable once)
- Psychiatry Graduate Students Research Award (for McGill psychiatry graduate students, valued at $10,000.00 / year, renewable once). Applications to the Chair's Office must include:
- Project Title
- Project Proposal: maximum of two pages. Indicate objective, hypotheses, methods & procedures, sample size and timeframe for completing project.
- Project Budget: A) Provide confirmation that funds are sufficient to carry out the research. B) Indicate how the money will be used; e.g., salary top-up (residents not eligible), part or full funding of the research project (provide details), travel, etc.
- Letter of support from faculty supervisor (residents and graduate students) or faculty mentor (early career psychiatrists).
- A two-Page abbreviated CV for the Applicant.
- A two-Page abbreviated CV for the Supervisor or Mentor.
Leyton Addiction Research Prize
- A prize of $1,000.00 awarded annually to the student who has published the best addiction-related paper each year.
- Annual application deadline is March 15th. Please see the News section of the Department of Psychiatry's website in mid-February for detailed announcement and application details.
- a first author on a drug or alcohol addiction-related paper either published or in press between March 16, 2011 and March 15, 2012 (dates adjusted each year)
- conducted the research with a faculty member in McGill University’s Department of Psychiatry, and
- a McGill undergraduate, graduate student, post-doctoral fellow, or resident when conducting the research.
Marion Birmingham/Trevor Dennis Student Research Day Prize
- For the top presentation by a student in the Department of Psychiatry ($1,000)
The Child and Youth Psychiatry Award ($500)
- For the top presentation at Student Research Day on disorders that affect young people by a student supervised by a faculty member whose primary position is within the Department of Psychiatry.
Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and allocation to the Faculty of Medicine:
Graduate Excellence Fellowship
- To all new MSc and PhD graduate students
- No application needed
- Announced in the department letter of recommendation for acceptance
- Values vary and may range from $1,000 for MSc's to $5,000 for PhD's
Faculty of Medicine Internal Studentship
- Value $10,000 for MSc students, $12,000 for PhD students for one year
- By application
Differential Fee Waiver
- For international students in their first summer
- By request of the student to the Graduate Program Director
- With agreement to register full time for the summer
- For more information: www.mcgill.ca/gps/funding/students-postdocs/students/dfw
GREAT: Graduate Research Enhancement and Travel Awards
- Limited number per university fiscal year
- By application to the Graduate Program Director
- For conference or research consultation travel
Richard C. Paterson Graduate Research Awards
- In support of graduate research in suicide prevention and treatment in the Faculty of Medicine
- Value to be announced
- By nomination
- Allocated to the departments on a rotating basis
- By nomination
- Announced throughout the year