Principal’s Task Force on Diversity, Excellence and Community Engagement
Working Group on Recruitment and Retention
Recruitment and retention of qualified academic, administrative and support staff, and for promoting academic administrators, from a broad range of backgrounds; mechanisms for broadening the pool of qualified students for admission to programs, and supporting them while at McGill.
The Working group on recruitment and retention may consider the following issues:
- What processes exist, and what might be put in place, to broaden the range of qualified candidates for academic, administrative and support positions at McGill, and for positions in the academic administration of the University?
- What assists exist, and what might we put in place, to reach out and include those whose opportunity to prepare for admission to McGill has been limited by the need to work to support themselves, or by adverse personal or family circumstance, so as to better enable them to gain admission to, and excel at, McGill?
- How do we reach out to talented potential applicants for whom, as a consequence of family and community circumstances, a university education is not an aspiration at all?
- How does each unit best play a role? Is there a particular role for the Centre for Continuing Education in providing this support?
- What can we learn from the experiences of those engaged with the broader community that would inform our efforts to reach out to new prospective candidates for employment at the University and for admission to our programs?
- How can we best attract, support and include outstanding graduate and postdoctoral students from a broad range of cultures, identities and affiliations with different segments of the community, and how can they support the attainment of excellence and engagement at McGill?
- Are there particular steps we might undertake to support more qualified Aboriginal students in gaining admission to, and excelling at, McGill, and to reach out to, identify and include qualified Aboriginal graduate students and staff?