R. B. Angus Professor, Department of Political Science
PhD, Yale, F.R.S.C.
Theory of Crisis, Conflict and War
Protracted Conflicts/Enduring Rivalries
Foreign Policy Theory and Decision-Making
Middle East International Politics, esp. the Arab-Israel conflict and peace process
South Asia International Relations
- Protracted Conflicts and World Politics (book)
- The Arab/Israel Conflict (book)
- A Century of Crisis and Conflict in the International System: Theory and Evidence, Palgrave-Macmillan (U.S.), 2017.
- Dynamics of the Arab-Israel Conflict: Past and Present, Palgrave-Macmillan, 2017.
- Political Leadership and Charisma: Nehru, Ben-Gurion, and Other 20th Century Political Leaders, Palgrave-Macmillan (U.S.), 2016.
- The World of Protracted Conflicts, Rowman and Littlefield Lexington Books, 2016.
- International Political Earthquakes, University of Michigan Press, 2008.
- Nehru: A Political Biography Oxford University Press 2005 (paperback edition of the original 1959 work) 682 pages.
- Millennial Reflections on International Studies, editor, with Frank P. Harvey, Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press, 2002 (5 vols.)
- A Study of Crisis, with Jonathan Wilkenfield, Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press, 1997. (Paperback and CD-ROM edition, 2000)
- Crises in World Politics: Theory and Reality, Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1993.
- Editor and Contributor, "Crisis, Conflict and War", Special Issue of International Political Science Review, 17(2), 1996, pp. 127-228.
- "Escalation and War in the Twentieth Century: Findings from the International Crisis Behaviour Project" with Patrick James and Jonathan Wilkenfeld, in John A. Vasquez (ed.) What Do We Know About War? Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2000. pp. 37-53.
- "Interstate Crises and Violence: Twentieth Century Findings", with Jonathan Wilkenfeld, in Manus I. Midlarsky (ed.) Handbook of War Studies II, Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press, 2000, pp.271-300.
- "International Studies in the Twentieth Century and Beyond: Flawed Dichotomies, Synthesis, Cumulation", International Studies Quarterly 43(2) 1999. pp. 213-264.
- "Crisis Escalation: A New Model and Findings," in Frank P. Harvey and Ben Mor (eds.) Conflict in World Politics: Advances in the Study of Crisis, War and Peace, Macmillan, London, 1997. pp. 119-141.
- with Jonathan Wilkenfield, "The Ethnic Dimension of International Crises," in David Carment and Patrick James (eds.), Wars in the Midst of Peace: The International Politics of Ethnic Conflict, Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press, 1997, pp. 164-193
- "Reflections on a Life in Academe", International Studies Notes, 20(3) 1995, pp.1-8.
- "Profiles of Interstate Crises, 1918-1988," , with Mark Peranson and David Emelifeonwu International Interactions 20(4) 1995, pp. 375-401.
- "International Crises: Reflections on the Future", Security Studies, 3(4), 1994, pp. 650-677.
- "Eban and Israeli Foreign Policy: Diplomacy, War and Disengagement", in Gordon A. Craig and Francis Lowenheim (eds). The Diplomats, 1939-1979, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1994, pp. 397-435.
- "International Crises and Global Instability: The Myth of the `Long Peace'", with Jonathan Wilkenfeld, in Charles W. Kegley, Jr. (ed.) The Long Postwar Peace, New York: Harper Collins, 1991, pp. 85-104.
- "Nehru's Place in History", in Milton Israel (ed.) Nehru and the Twentieth Century. Toronto: University of Toronto Centre for South Asian Studies, 1991. pp. 23-52.
1955-56, Nuffield Fellowship
1960, Watumull Prize, American Historical Association, for "NEHRU: A Political Biography", "the best book on India published in the preceding two years"
1964-65, Rockefeller Fellowship
1965-66, John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship
1973, Woodrow Wilson Award, American Political Science Association, for _The Foreign Policy System of Israel_, "the best book on government, politics and international affairs published in the preceding year"
1970-4 & 1976-9, Killam Awards, Canada Council
1976-, Fellow, Royal Society of Canada
1986, Fieldhouse Award for Distinguished Teaching, McGill University
1990 - Present
1995, Distinguished Scholar Award, International Studies Association, Foreign Policy Analysis Section
1999-2000, President, International Studies Association
2000, Leon-Gerin Quebec Prize for the Human Sciences
2000, Award for High Distinction in Research, McGill University
2009, Lifetime Achievement Award, American Political Science Association (Conflict Processes)