Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science
PhD, Johns Hopkins University
Areas of interest:
State Building, Informal Institutions
Chinese Politics, Contentious Politics, Authoritarian Politics
- The Sinews of State Power: The Rise and Demise of The Cohesive Local State in Rural China (New York: Oxford University Press, March 2017).
Review by Daniel Litte here.
- "Political Resources and Divergent Court Empowerment: Subnational Comparison in China," (with Wenting Liang), Modern China, forthcoming.
- "What's Wrong with Corruption? Messages from Confessions in China," Crime, Law and Social Change, first published on line, December 2017.
- "Managing Social Stability: The Perspective of A Local Government in China," Journal of East Asian Studies, Vol. 15 (2015), pp. 1-25.
- "Shifting Boundaries between the State and Society: Village Cadres as New Activists in Collective Petition," The China Quarterly, Vol. 211 (2012), pp. 697-717.
- “The Political Economy of Earmarked Transfers in a State-Designated Poor County in Western China: Central Policies and Local Responses” (with Mingxing Liu, Ran Tao, & Rachel Murphy), The China Quarterly, Vol. 200 (2009), pp. 973-994
- “The Politics of Poverty Mis-targeting in China,” Journal of Chinese Political Science, Vol. 12, No. 3 (2007), pp. 219-236
- “Going beyond Township and Village Enterprises in Rural China,” Journal of Contemporary China, Issue 14, Vol. 42 (2005), pp. 171-181
- " 'It's not just about divorce.' Language, Law and State Building in China" (with Hongqin Mu), under review.
- "Negotiating the Authoritarian State: An Organizational Approach"
- "Lawyers and Corruption Networks in China" (with Ran An)
- "Detention, Law and Agency Control in China"
Comparative Government and Politics