BA, Université Laval
Currently serving as:
- President of the Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Member of the Board, Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement
- Member of the Research Council, Canadian Institute for Advanced Research
To reach Professor Maioni: antonia [dot] maioni [at] mcgill [dot] ca
For a short Bio, please click here: Antonia Maioni Bio
Faculty of Arts courses:
- Public Policy Research Seminar POLI 610
- Health Care in Canada POLI 417
- Provincial Politics POLI 326
- Political Process & Behaviour in Canada (Winter 2014 only) POLI 222
Faculty of Medicine, MDCM Curriculum: http://www.mcgill.ca/new-mdcm/
Faculty of Management, International Masters for Health Leadership: http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/programs/imhl
- Health Care Reform in Canada and the United States
- Social Policy and the Welfare State
- Comparative Politics
- Provincial Politics, Quebec Politics
- Political Parties
- Canadian Political Process
- 2004-2008 Research grant, McGill-Max Bell Strategic Initiatives Program, “Innovation and Implementation in Public Policy” (PI)
- 2005-2006 CIBC Conference Board Scholar-in-Residence Award
- 2003-2006 Operating Grant, Canadian Institutes for Health Research, “Rights Litigation and Health Care” (co-PI with Christopher P. Manfredi)
- 2001-2004 Research Grant, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, “The Politics of Health Care Reform”
- 2001-2011 William Dawson Award, McGill University
- Canada by Picasso: The Faces of Federalism edited by Roger Gibbins, Janice Gross Stein, and Antonia Maioni (Ottawa: The Conference Board of Canada, September 2006.
- Parting at the Crossroads: The Emergence of Health Insurance in the United States and Canada, Princeton University Press, 1998.
- Health Care in Canada (Toronto: Oxford University Press, Canada, 2014).
- Health Care Policy and Opinion in the United States and Canada (with R. Nadeau, E. Belanger, S. Soroka & F. Petry) (New York: Routledge, 2014)
Recent Articles & Book Chapters:
- "Health Care in Canada and the United States” in David M. Thomas and David N. Biette, Canada and the United States: Differences that Count 2014 (Toronto: University of Toronto Press), pp. 254-272.
- “Canada” in James A. Morone and Dan Ehlke, Health Politics and Policy (Nelson/Cengage), pp. 398-404.
- “What Moves Public Opinion on Health Care?” (with S. Soroka and P. Martin), Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, Vol. 38, No. 5 (March 2013).
- “Health Care” in Herman Bakvis and Grace Skogstad, eds, Canadian Federalism, 3rd ed. (Toronto: Oxford University Press, 2012), pp. 165-182.
- “Transformación del Estado de bienestar canadiense”, in Gustavo Vega Cánovas e Irina Alberro, Canadá: Gobernabilidad democrática y política exterior in una época de crisis y cambio internacionales (México: El Colegio de México, 2011), pp. 127-149.
- “Citizenship and Health Care” International Journal of Canadian Studies, no. 42 (Fall 2010)
- “Health Care in Quebec”, in Quebec Questions: Quebec Studies for the Twenty-First Century, ed. Jarrett Rudy et al. (Oxford University Press, 2010).
- « Health care reform in the 2008 US presidential election » International Journal, Volume LXIV, No. 1 (Winter 2008-09), pp. 135-144.
- “Health Care in Crisis: What’s Driving Health Reform in Canada and the United States?” (with Theodore R. Marmor), One Issue, Two Voices, Issue 9 (April 2008), (Washington, DC: Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars).
- (with C. Manfredi) « L’arrêt Chaoulli et la judiciarisation des politiques de santé » dans François Béland, Le privé dans la santé : Les discours et les faits (Les Presses de l’Université de Montréal, 2008), pp. 264-280.
- “Health Care in Canada” in Herman Bakvis and Grace Skogstad, eds, Canadian Federalism, 2nd edition (Toronto: Oxford University Press, 2008), pp. 161-181.
- (with A. Quesnel-Vallée and M. Bourque) “In the aftermath of Chaoulli v. Quebec: Whose opinion prevailed?” Canadian Medical Association Journal, Oct. 24, 2006, vol. 175 (9).
- (with C. Manfredi) "The Last Line of Defence for Citizens: Litigating Private Health Insurance in Chaoulli v. Québec." Osgoode Hall Law Journal 44.2. 249-71 (Fall 2006)
- "Les litiges fondés sur les droits et l'émergence du rôle des tribunaux dans l'élaboration des politiques en matière de santé." Ruptures: Revue transdisciplinarie en santé, 11.1 (2006): 32-55 (Automne 2006).
- (with C. Manfredi) “Reversal of Fortune: Litigating Health Care Reform in Auton v. British Columbia,” Supreme Court Law Review (2d) 29 (2005, pp. 111-136).
- “From Cinderella to Belle of the Ball: The Politics of Primary Care Reform in Canada” in Ruth Wilson, S. E. D. Shortt and John Dorland, eds., Implementing Primary Care Reform: Barriers and Facilitators (Montreal: McGill Queen’s University Press, 2004), pp. 97-109.
- “Roles and Responsibilities in Health Care Policy” in Tom McIntosh, Pierre-Gerlier Forest, Gregory P. Marchildon, eds., The Governance of Health Care in Canada: The Romanow Papers, Volume 3 (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2004), pp. 169-198.
- “Tobacco Control in Canada” (co-author with Christopher P. Manfredi), Unfiltered: Conflicts over Tobacco Control and Public Health, edited by Ron Bayer and Eric Feldman (Harvard University Press, 2004), pp. 68-88.
Selected Policy Papers:
- “Health Care Funding: Needs and Realities” Policy Options/Options politiques (May 2010), pp. 69-72.
- “The Continuum of US Health Care Reform" Policy Options/Options politiques (November 2009), pp. 16-24.
- "Towards an Iggy-nation in Quebec" ” Policy Options/Options politiques (May 2009), pp 38-41.
- “Charest – The Teflon Man Closes the Deal” Policy Options/Options politiques (February 2009), pp. 71-74.
- “Health Care: The Constant Refrain” Policy Options/Options politiques (October 2008), pp. 72-78.
- “What I saw at the Liberal Party” Policy Options/Options politiques (February 2007) pp. 46-49.
- “Showing the flag – the origins and consequences of the sponsorship scandal” in Policy Options/Options politiques (June 2005) pp. 22-25.
- “The Role of the Media: A campaign saved by a horserace” (with Elizabeth Goodyear-Grant and Stuart Soroka) in Policy Options/Options politiques, September 2004, pp. 86-91.,
- “New century, new risks: the Marsh Report and the post-war welfare state in Canada" in Policy Options/Options politiques (August 2004), pp. 20-23.
- “From Paul Martin père to fils: kicking around the political football of health care” in Policy Options/Options politiques (Dec. 2003-Jan. 2004) pp. 35-38.
Recent Op-Eds, Globe and Mail:
- Lost in the Senate circus: Reform must follow the rule of law, November 11, 2013
- Obamacare vs. Canada: Five key differences, October 3, 2013
- Who, exactly, is being unified by Quebec’s Charter of values, August 26, 2013
- Books are a cultural asset, but at what price, Quebec? August 20, 2013
- Quebec and the monarchy: You say succession, I say secession, June 14, 2013
- With Duffy scandal, NDP finds its footingMay 21, 2013
- Sociology does pay off, May 3, 2013
- The Liberals must find their sweet spot, April 8. 2013
- Canada’s immigration peak is worth marking, February 11, 2013. maioni_bio_2014.pdf