Danielle J. Donnelly PhD
danielle [dot] donnelly [at] mcgill [dot] ca (E-mail)
Dr. Danielle Donnelly's research focuses on in vitro technologies for genetic improvement of both table and processing cultivars of potato. Field-based selection of somaclonal variants is used for improvement of tuber yield and type while lab-based selections are applied for better storage and phytochemical characters. Dr. Donnelly has extensive research experience in micropropagation and hydroponic technologies, germplasm storage, and certification programs for clonally propagated species.
Graduate student applicants (Please use McGill's on-line application process)
Co-supervision is possible with Dr. S. Kubow (School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition) to improve nutrient content of potato.
Co-supervision is also possible with Dr. X.-Q. Li (AAFC Fredericton) to study biochemistry and molecular genetics of potato.
Botanical Sciences Final Year Project (PLNT 489, 490)
Special Topics (PLNT 450 or 451)
Barbados Interdisciplinary Tropical Studies
Dr. Donnelly directs the Barbados Interdisciplinary Tropical Studies (BITS) summer field semester program in Barbados. This program is a joint program with The University of the West Indies. Click for more information.
Canadian Certification Programs
Potato and Evolution
- Li, X-Q., T. Zhang, & D.J. Donnelly. 2011. Selective loss of cysteine residues and disulphide bonds in a potato proteinase inhibitor II family. PLosONE 6:e18615.
Crop Certification & Variety Protection
- Donnelly, D.J., & A. Dale. 2008. Concept and Laboratory Exercise; Crop Certification Programs and the Production of Specific Pathogen Free Plants. Chap. XIV In: Plant Propagation Concepts and Laboratory Exercises. Ed. C. Beyl, R. Trigiano & J. Preece. CRC Press, Boca Raton.
- Dale, A., B.R. Hughes & D.J. Donnelly. 2008. The role of micropropagation in producing specific pathogen-tested plants. HortScience. 43:74-77.
- Hughes, B., A. Dale & D.J. Donnelly. 2008. Micropropagation in the Ontario strawberry plant propagation program. P. 130-135 In: Proceedings of the North American Strawberry Symposium, Feb. 9-12, 2007. Ventura CA, U.S. Ed. Takeda, F., D.F., Handley & E.B. Poling.
- Riché, B. & D.J. Donnelly. 2006. Plant Variety Protection in Canada. In: Principles of Plant Genetics and Breeding. Blackwell, Oxford, U.K.
Potato Cultivar Identification
- Li, X.-Q., M. Haroon, S.E. Coleman, A. Sullivan, M. Singh, L. Ward, S.H. DeBoer, T. Zhang & D.J. Donnelly. 2008. Simplified procedure for verifying and identifying potato cultivars using multiplex PCR. Canadian J Plant Science 88: 583-592.
Genetic Variation through Tissue Culture
Somaclonal Technology for Potato Improvement
- Nassar, A.M.K., J. Abdulnour, Y. Leclerc, X-Q. Li, & D.J. Donnelly. 2011. Intraclonal selection for improved processing of NB 'Russet Burbank' potato. Am. J. Potato Res. 88:387-397. (Winner of the Potato Association of America’s “Outstanding Paper Award for 2011”).
- Nassar, A.M.K., S. Kubow, Y. Leclerc, and D.J. Donnelly (2012) Somatic mining for phytonutrient improvement of ‘Russet Burbank’ potato. Am. J. of Potato Res. (In press).
Testing Periclinal Chimeral Theory with Somaclones
- Nassar, A.M.K., E. Oritz-Medina, Y.N. Leclerc & D.J. Donnelly. 2008. Periclinal chimeral status of New Brunswick ‘Russet Burbank’ potato. Am. J. Potato Res. 85:432-437.
Genetic Risk Through Micropropagation
- Oritz-Medina, E. & D. J. Donnelly. 2005. Micropropagation and genetic risk: securing clonal fidelity. P 45-53 In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on True-to-Typeness of Date Palm Tissue Culture-Derived Plants. Marrakech, Morocco, 23-25 May, 2005. Joint publication of the FAO, Date Palm Global Network, UAE University, United Arab Emirates.
Potato and Human Health
Role of Potato in Human Health (Review Article)
- Camire, M., S. Kubow & D.J. Donnelly. 2009. Potatoes and human health. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 49:823-840.
- Nassar, A.M.K., K. Sabally, S. Kubow, Y. Leclerc, and D.J. Donnelly (2012) Some Canadian-grown potato cultivars contribute a substantial content of essential dietary minerals. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 60: 4688-4696.
Potatoes and Nutrient Content
- Singh, A., K. Sebally, S. Kubow, D.J. Donnelly, Y. Gariepy, V. Orsat, and G.S.V. Raghavan. 2011. Microwave-assisted extraction of phenolic antioxidants from potato peels. Molecules 16:2218-2232.
- Singh, A., K. Sebally, S. Kubow, D.J. Donnelly, V. Orsat, and G.S.V. Raghavan. 2010. Optimization of microwave assisted extraction of antioxidants from potato peel. XVIIth World Congress of the International Commission of Agricultural Engineering (CIGR). Canadian Society for Bioengineering Section IV: Postharvest Technology and Process Engineering. Quebec City, Canada. June 13-17, 2010.
- Oritz-Medina, E., V. Sosle, V. Raghavan & D.J. Donnelly. 2009. A method for intercultivar comparison of potato tuber nutrient content using specific tissue weight proportions. J. Food Science. 74:S177-S181.
- Zhang, Y., M. Fortin, D.J. Donnelly & X.-Q. Li. 2007. Constitutive expression of a new proteinase inhibitor II family gene in potato. Canada-China Special Issue on Potato. J. Huazhong Agr. Univ. 26:71-75.
- Oritz-Medina, E. & D.J. Donnelly, 2003. Total soluble proteins vary between cultivars in fresh and stored tubers. Symposium 3, Potatoes, Healthy Food for Humanity. Int. Hort Congress. Toronto, August 11-17, 2002. Acta Horticulturae 619:263-269.
Potatoes and Salinity Tolerance
Salt Tolerance in Potato (Review Article)
- Donnelly, D.J., S.O. Prasher & R.M. Patel 2007. Towards the Development of Salt Tolerant Potato. Chapter 11 In: Potato Biology and Biotechnology: Advances and Perspectives, Eds. MacKerron, D. and H. Ross, Scottish Crop Research Institute Elsevier, UK.
In Vitro or Lysimeter Studies on Potato; Salinity Stress
- Zhang, Y., J.E. Abdulnour, D.J. Donnelly & N.N. Barthakur, 2001. ‘Norland’ tuber yields are not affected by salinity treatment of parent plants. HortScience 36:770-771.
- Kalifa, A., D.J. Donnelly & N.N. Barthakur, 2000. Phosphorus reduces salinity stress in micropropagated potato. Am J Potato Res 77:179-182.
- Patel, R.M., S.O. Prasher, D.J. Donnelly & R.B. Bonnell, 2000. Effect of initial soil salinity and subirrigation water salinity on potato tuber yield and size. Agric Water Manage 1573:1-9.
- Patel, R.M., S.O. Prasher, D.J. Donnelly R.B. Bonnell & R.S. Broughton, 1999. Subirrigation with brackish water for vegetable production in arid regions. Bioresource Technol 70:33-37.
- Alhagdow, M.M., N.N. Barthakur & D.J. Donnelly, 1999. Salinity tolerance and sodium-potassium interactions in micropropagated potato. Potato Res 42:73-78.
- Khrais, T., Y. Leclerc & D. J. Donnelly, 1998. Relative salinity tolerance of potato cultivars assessed by in vitro screening. Am J Potato Res 75:207-210.
- Zhang, Y. & D.J. Donnelly, 1997. In vitro ranking for salinity tolerance of potato cultivars. Potato Res 40:285-295.
Potatoes and Calcium Uptake
In Vitro Studies
- Habib, A., J. Abdulnour & D.J. Donnelly, 2005/6. Increased calcium availability improves potato micropropagation and microtuberization. Potato Res 47:139-150.
- Arvin, M.J., A. Habib & D.J. Donnelly, 2005. Effects of calcium concentration in medium on microtuberization of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). Iranian J Biotech 3:152-156.
- Habib, A. & D.J. Donnelly, 2005. Stimulation of 45Ca2+ uptake into micropropagated potato plantlets by UV light and vitamin D3. Am J Potato Res 82:191-196.
- Habib, A. & D.J. Donnelly, 2003. Vitamin Ds improve calcium uptake in micropropagated potato plantlets. Symposium 3, Potatoes, Healthy Food for Humanity. Int. Hort Congress. Toronto August 11-17, 2002. Acta Horticulturae 619:323-328.
- Habib, A. & D.J. Donnelly. 2002. Calcium translocation and accumulation into potato tubers. Potato Res 45:17-24.
- Barthakur, N.N., D.J. Donnelly & A. Habib, 2002. Transfer of calcium-45 and strontium-90 from medium to plant and their translocation in micropropagated potato. Proceedings of the International Congress on the Radioecology-Ecotoxicology of Continental and Estuarine Environments. 3-7 Sept. 2001, Aix-en-Provence, France. F. Brechignac (Ed.) Radioprotection-colloques Vol. 37. EDP Sciences, France.
- Abdulnour, J.E., D.J. Donnelly & N.N. Barthakur, 2000. The effect of boron on growth and calcium uptake in micropropagated potato plantlets. Potato Res 43:287-295.
- Abdulnour, J.E., D.J. Donnelly & N.N. Barthakur, 1998. Enhanced calcium uptake in micropropagated potato plantlets by macroelement dilution. J. Plant Nutr. Soil Sci.161:81-85.
- Abdulnour, J.E., D.J. Donnelly & N.N. Barthakur, 1998. Cation and total macroelement concentrations influence Ca uptake in micropropagated potato plants. J. Plant Nutr. Soil Sci. 161:613-617.
Potatoes and Microtuber Technology
- Donnelly, D.J., S.E. Coleman & W.K. Coleman, 2003. Potato microtuber production and performance: A review. Am J Potato Res 80:103-115.
- Coleman, W.K., D.J. Donnelly & S.E. Coleman, 2001. Potato microtubers as research tools: A review. Am J Potato Res 78:47-55.
Red Raspberry and Freezing Stress
- Palonen, P., D. Buszard & D.J. Donnelly, 2000. Changes in carbohydrates and freezing tolerance during cold acclimation of red raspberry cultivars grown in vitro and in vivo. Physiol Plant, 110:393-401.
- Palonen, P., D. Buszard & D.J. Donnelly, 1999. Two approaches to in vitro screening of raspberry cultivars for cold hardiness. Acta Hortic 505:191-198. Proc 7th Int Rubus/Ribes Symp, January 9-16, 1998, Melbourne, Australia.