The team regularly organizes conferences, lectures and workshops and provides unique opportunities for students to encounter the practical aspects of international arbitration.
McGill Dispute Resolution Lecture Series
Every year, the McGill Dispute Resolution Lecture Series puts students in contact with noted international arbitration practitioners from most continents and many dispute resolution institutions such as the World Bank’s International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) and the Permanent Court of Arbitration
John E.C. Brierley Memorial Lecture
The John E.C. Brierley Memorial Lecture on arbitration commemorates the life and work of John E.C. Brierley, who was Professor and Dean of Law at McGill. He was a prominent figure in the discipline of comparative law internationally and the leading Canadian expert on arbitration.
Summer School in Arbitration
McGill, in collaboration with Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law, hosts an International Arbitration Summer School open to law students and young lawyers from all jurisdictions.
Team members have been giving workshops for arbitrators and arbitration practitioners. In 2008, McGill was co-host of an ICC arbitration workshop with the ICC Court’s office for North America.
In 2009, McGill participated in a workshop for parliamentarians in Vietnam as part of the process for a comprehensive review of that country's arbitration law. Professor Fabien Gélinas was the McGill instructor in this workshop.
Several internship programs are sponsored under the grant in co-operation with leading international organizations such as the Permanent Court of Arbitration at The Hague and the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Paris.
Related Research Projects
- Méthodologie d’appréciation des risques juridiques des systèmes de cyberjustice (Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada)
- Normativités informelles et délibérées: l’arbitrage du commerce transnational entre droit et contrat (Fonds québécois de recherche sur la société et la culture)
For a summary of the research project (available in French only): Click here
- Base de données regroupant les décisions judiciaires interprétant la loi type du CNUDCI sur l’arbitrage commercial international (Canada Foundation for Innovation)
For details about this particular grant: Click here
- The Open State (McGill University)
- Le recours global (Fondation Claude-Massé) (available in French only)