The Research Institute at the Montreal Children's Hospital was formally established in 1966 as a partnership between McGill University and the hospital in order to promote and facilitate excellence in child health research. In 1996, the Institute joined other research centers at McGill University to establish the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Center (RI-MUHC).
Today, the RI-MUHC has major research strengths in the fields of genetics, public health and preventive medicine, growth and development, oncology, psychosocial problems and cardio-respiratory health. Other important research domains include endocrine and renal disease, infection and immunity, musculoskeletal disorders, and neuroscience. Research activity is conducted at the Montreal Children's Hospital and two satellite facilities within a block of the Hospital.
The Montreal Children's Hospital has over 100 clinical and basic scientists, nearly 50 of whom hold grants from peer-reviewed agencies such as the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the Fonds de recherche du Québec-Santé, the Canadian Foundation for Innovation, The U.S. National Institutes of Health, the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute, and the International Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. Other personnel include more than 100 technicians, research assistants, coordinators, nurses and administrative staff, and over 100 graduate students and research fellows.
Research Training Program
Graduate Students, Postdoctoral Fellows, Clinical Fellows and Residents involved in child health research projects are supervised by staff affiliated with McGill University and the Montreal Children's Hospital. The majority are enrolled in various departments and schools at McGill University.
- Department of Anthropology, Faculty of Arts
- Department of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Medicine
- School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, Faculty of Medicine
- Division of Experimental Medicine, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine
- Experimental Surgery Program, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine
- Department of Human Genetics, Faculty of Medicine
- Centre for Research in Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine
- Ingram School of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine
- Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Faculty of Science
- Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine
- Department of Psychology, Faculty of Science
- School of Social Work, Faculty of Arts
Prospective trainees must be enrolled under McGill's Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies prior to acceptance for research training at the Montreal Children's Hospital.
For more information, please consult the Research at the Montreal Children's Hospital website.