Stress Management Skills
You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.
How we experience the world, including things that make us feel stressed, is largely determined by how we perceive the experiences to be. Changing your internal dialogue can help you deal with stressors better, and lessen the negative emotions that are associated with them. If you feel like your internal dialogue could use a positive boost, check out the Positive Thoughts handout and listen to the Positive Thoughts audio.
Stress management is directly influenced with how we spend our time. Too much work and no play does not lead to healthy results! It is very important to maintain a balanced approach to life which includes not only hard work but also much-needed leisure time. This Balance Handout will give you all the tips you need to remind you of how to keep your work-life balance!
It is very important to find out what stress management techniques you could implement when you begin to feel high levels of stress and anxiety. Listen to the following guided practice audios and feel the benefits immediately!
- Deep Breathing can help lower your heart rate and keep your mind focused on the present.
- Muscle_Relaxation will lessen the tension in your muscles and will replace your anxiety-provoking thoughts with feelings of relaxation.
- Visualizations can reduce stress by focusing on calming imagery and imagining a positive future.
- Incorporate stress-reducing exercise into your daily routine with this simple program. Check out Sworkit!
- Listen to calming music with the pre-made playlists on Songza
- Practice your deep breathing technique
- Let calming music soothe you to sleep
McGill has numerous stress-management resources that you should definitely take the time to check out!
- Wellness workshops
- Meditation for grad students
- Exercise classes
- Healthy eating resources
- Balanced life workshops
- Dance and yoga and other fitness courses
- Dance and yoga classes for grad students
Why is exercise important for stress management? Watch this stress management video to find out!
How something as simple as going outside can help us find peace of mind.
Stress management resources from other universities
- Stress Management at Unversity
- Managing Stress at Graduate-School
- Overcoming Test Anxiety
- Sleep and the Functioning Student
- Managing Exam Anxiety