Great working conditions are assured
The Fédération des médecins résidents du Québec (FMRQ) is the union for medical residents and as such is responsible for negociating the residents collective agreement and ensuring that it is effective in the work place. For information on working conditions, benefits, and salary go to the FMRQ website.
Examples of some benefits are:
- four weeks paid vacation, annually
- two weeks conference leave, annually
- thirteen statutory holidays, annually
- three personal days, annually
- supplemental health insurance
- maternity/paternity leave
- modest disability and malpractice insurance
- uniforms, and meals while on call
- student status for registration to facilities (library and athletic), which confers benefits and access
McGill ObGyn Residency program operates a night float system where the residents work between 2 and 8 weeks of night calls (Sunday to Thursday 5 pm to 7 am) and the weekends are shared by the residents on service. The system, which allows the residents to be free during the weekday evenings and nights to be able to study or socialize, is greatly appreciated by the residents.