Quick Links

Course and University withdrawals

What is a withdrawal?

There are two kinds of withdrawals: Course Withdrawal and University Withdrawal. A Course Withdrawal means you have chosen to discontinue one or more courses. A University Withdrawal means you have chosen to discontinue your entire term or year of studies. Depending on the date of withdrawal, you may be entitled to a refund.

Why would I want to withdraw?

You may wish to withdraw for a number of personal and/or academic reasons, which may include simply not liking the course, not doing well in the course (see Grading procedure), illness, financial difficulty or personal issues.

To have your Fall or Winter course fees refunded, you must withdraw from the course by the end of the week following the Course Change Period at the beginning of the Fall or the Winter term. You have until the Course Withdrawal deadline to decide if you want to stay in a course, or if you want to remain at the University. See Withdrawal Deadlines for more information. For Summer studies, you have until the eighth scheduled day of class to withdraw from a Summer course.

You alone are responsible for your academic record. If you are thinking about withdrawing and do not take action, you may experience potentially serious problems. Be proactive, assess your situation, inform yourself of deadlines and rules, seek advice and help in your decision making. There are many resources available to help you.

What kind of problems may occur if I stop attending class and do not formally withdraw?

You will receive a "J" instead of a "W" for a final grade. A "J" grade is equivalent to a zero in the course and will count as such for your CGPA. A "J" grade remains a permanent part of your record; you will not be able to erase it. You could go into probationary or unsatisfactory standing as a result of a "J" grade.

What do I do if the deadline has passed to withdraw?

Withdrawal requests after the deadline are not routinely approved except in cases of serious, well-documented extenuating circumstances such as illness or family affliction.



Myth #1

You can withdraw from a course by simply not going to lectures.
Myth #2

A professor or other University staff member can withdraw you from a course.
Myth #3

A W looks bad on your record and damages your average.
Myth #4

You can withdraw after the deadline with the professor's permission.
Myth #5

Ws on your record prevent you from entering graduate studies, medical school, or finding a job.
Myth #6

A W means you were failing the course.
Myth #7

A W means you cannot take the course again.


You must always make withdrawals yourself.

Grades of "W" are not "bad" for your record; they have no effect on your GPA and a few over the course of your academic career will not affect future studies or career goals. A W does not mean you were failing the course, and you are free to register in a W'd course at another time if you wish.