Quick Links

Second Degree Students

Second Undergraduate Degree Students Pursuing a Bachelor of Arts Degree

You are considered a second degree student if you have completed a previous degree at McGill University or at another recognized university/institution and are now completing a second undergraduate degree at McGill University.

Please note the following:

Applications for a second degree in the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) must be made directly to McGill University, Enrolment Services. Please go to http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/ for more information.

Second degree students in the B.A. degree must complete 60 credits at McGill University.

The multi-track system requires that students complete a Major Concentration (36 credits), with at least a Minor Concentration (18 credits).

1. Second degree students are permitted to complete a Major Concentration and a Minor Concentration in the same academic unit.
2. Second degree students pursuing an Honours or Faculty Program in the Faculty of Arts are not required to complete a Minor Concentration.
3. Please see http://www.mcgill.ca/oasis/ba/requirements/ for more information.

Second degree students are strongly advised to meet with their departmental advisers before the Add/Drop deadlines in the Fall and Winter terms.

1.Departmental advisers will ensure that second degree students are on track for their program requirements and will approve course selections. 
2. For a listing of departmental advisers, please go to http://www.mcgill.ca/oasis/ba/departmental/adviser/

Credits that you have completed for your first degree may not be applied towards the 60 credits needed to complete your second degree.  Please note that the Cumulative Point Average (CGPA) from your first degree will not be calculated into the CGPA of your second degree. For further information concerning GPA calculation, please access the eCalendar at http://www.mcgill.ca/study/2014-2015/university_regulations_and_resources/undergraduate/gi_grading_and_grade_point_averages .

While you cannot receive credits for courses already taken in your previous degree, you may receive course exemption for courses you passed with a grade of C or better and that have been evaluated as equivalent to a McGill course.  

1. Please see your departmental adviser regarding courses you have previously taken that might exempt you from one or more program requirement(s).
2. In cases where a course exemption is approved, these credits will have to be replaced by an approved substitute course taken at McGill.  

Second degree students are strongly advised to meet with their Faculty Adviser in Arts OASIS upon beginning their B.A. degree.

1. Faculty Adviser will be assigned to you (note your Faculty Adviser’s name at the top left of your unofficial Minerva transcript under your name) shortly after the beginning of your first term at McGill.
2. Your Faculty Adviser will ensure that you are meeting the overall requirements of your 60 credit B.A. degree. 
3. Your Faculty Adviser will assist you should you experience any issues that may have an impact on your overall academic performance.
4. How can you contact your Faculty Adviser?
       A.  You can meet with your Faculty Adviser during their drop-in advising hours (please refer to the drop-in schedule  at http://www.mcgill.ca/oasis/general/information/adviser/).
       B.  You can book an appointment with your Faculty Adviser by sending him/her an e-mail with your availabilities.
       C. You can simply e-mail your questions to your Faculty Adviser. Please include your name and ID# in all your correspondence.
       D.  You can also direct your general questions to the Arts OASIS counter (Dawson Hall, Room 110) or by telephone (514-398-1029).