Welcome, students from China
Science student Edmund Lam visited China while on exchange in 2010.
McGill is home to more than 8, 200 international students, who make up over 20 per cent of our student population. Many of these students come from China.
We want to help you ease into your new life at McGill and in Montreal:
- Our International Student Services office is dedicated to providing services for you and your family, including assistance with immigration procedures.
- The student-run International Student Network acts as a support network for the international community at McGill and offers cultural events, social gatherings, weekend trips to other cities, and more.
- The Students’ Society of McGill (SSMU) has a wealth of clubs and activities, including the Chinese Students’ Association.
- We encourage you to participate in the International Student Buddy Program, which pairs experienced student volunteers with new international students.
- Students whose first language is not English may want to use the summer term to improve their language skills with a three-credit course (CESL 299 Academic English seminar).
- You’ll definitely need to dress for Montreal’s climate which features four distinct seasons with hot summers and cold winters. We have a winter coat project to help. Here’s a list of other items you may need.