Need some tips on building a healthy budget? Visit The Frugal Scholar —a comprehensive program designed to help you budget effectively and find the peace of mind that a realistic plan will bring!
What will my first year cost?
Three types of expenses need to be considered:
1) What is my tuition?
To obtain a comprehensive estimate of what you can expect to pay in tuition fees, use the Fee Calculator.
2) Will I be staying in Residence?
If you plan to live in one of the McGill Residences, be advised that fees can vary from one residence to the other. Consult Downtown campus fees or Macdonald campus fees for detailed cost information for each residence.
Renting an apartment? Check out our Rough Guide for estimates on the cost of renting in Montreal.
3) Will I be on a Meal Plan?
Most students living in McGill residences, with some exceptions, are automatically enrolled in The Mandatory Residential Plan.
Students living in La Citadelle Residence have a separate plan; the Mandatory Citadelle Meal Plan
Students assigned to Solin Hall or MORE Houses will automatically be enrolled in the Commuter Meal Plan with a base amount of $300.00. Students can opt out of this meal plan, if they so wish, by choosing the appropriate selection in the online residence registration.
If you plan to live off campus, but still want to take advantage of the convenience offered by a Meal Plan, take a look at our Voluntary Meal Plan options.
You will find information on e-billing and e-payment as well as payment deadlines at Student Accounts. You will receive an email notification at your McGill email address when the monthly e-bill is ready to view in Minerva.
- Fall term tuition is billed in early August and is due by the end of August (note that students registered up to August 14th at midnight will be billed and must pay their fees by the end of August).
- Winter term tuition is billed in early December and is due in early January.
- If applicable, Residence fees are payable monthly and will appear on your monthly e-bill.
- Meal plan fee payments vary depending on your plan. If applicable, consult Food and Dining Services and select the appropriate plan.
The Student Accounts office holds information sessions for new students and their parents, providing answers to your questions about e-billing and payment of fees. Check back in early August (Date: to be confirmed) to register online on the Parents section of the Campus Life & Engagement's (CL&E) website.
If you have been awarded an entrance scholarship, you will receive a letter from the Scholarships and Student Aid Office. The offer of entrance scholarship must be accepted by the deadline for accepting admission to McGill. Simply, respond to the offer by logging into Minerva and selecting the Financial Aid/Awards menu.
Scholarships are credited directly to your fee account – one half prior to the due date of your Fall fees, and the other half in early January. You can keep track of your account on Minerva.
For complete information on scholarships visit the Scholarships site.
Application information can be found at www.mcgill.ca/studentaid/.
Students accepted to McGill may apply for need-based financial aid programs. These include an Entrance Bursary program, an In-Course Loan and Bursary program, and a Work Study program. If you have been offered an Entrance bursary, respond to the offer by logging into Minerva and selecting the Financial Aid Awards menu.
- The Scholarships and Student Aid Office also administers all government student aid programs for Canadians, Permanent Residents and U.S. citizens.
- Canadians and Permanent Residents apply directly to the province or territory in which they are considered a resident. Make sure you apply before June 30 to ensure your government funding arrives by September.
- US citizens and permanent residents apply for the Direct Loan Program. Make sure you apply before June 1 to ensure your US government funding arrives in the fall. Consult www.mcgill.ca/studentaid/government/us for information on how to apply for US Direct Loans when attending a foreign school.