Every year, in March, the University celebrates the excellence of its top scholars and researchers during the Bravo gala. In 2017, for the first time, McGill will be awarding two prizes at Bravo for the dissemination and popularization of research through media.
In creating this prize, Principal and Vice-Chancellor Suzanne Fortier wishes to recognize the efforts made by professors, post-doctoral fellows, research associates and graduate students who have engaged with the media over the course of the previous year. By sharing the results of their research as well as their expertise with a broader audience, they extend the reach and influence of their scholarship and support McGill’s commitment to engagement with the wider community.
Two prizes will be awarded each year: one to a professor, the other to a graduate student, research associate or post-doctoral fellow. Each winner will receive a cheque for $5,000 which is subject to taxation.
The deadline for nominations for the 2016 prize is February 6, 2017
The guidelines for nominating someone for the award are as follows:
- Examples of 5-10 instances of news media outreach between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016. Examples of media presence include, but are not limited to, a presence in news articles, YouTube videos, online discussions, opinion pieces, and in interviews in print, radio or television, and podcasts.
- An active social media presence to promote research and debate, and/or to share expertise will also be taken into account.
- Applications for graduate students, research associates and post-doctoral fellows must include a letter of support (one page) from a faculty member (usually from their supervisor). Up to two additional letters from faculty, staff and/or graduate students in support of the nomination will be accepted.
- Professors who are applying for the award must have a letter of support from their Dean.
- There is no limit to the number of candidates each faculty may put forward.
The selection committee will include the Vice-Principal (Communications and External Relations or delegate - Chair), the Vice-Principal (Research and Innovation or delegate), the Dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies or delegate, and a representative from the Post Graduate Students’ Society.
Winners of the award are not eligible for re-nomination for a period three years.
Download the nomination form for grad students, research associates or post-doctoral fellows:
Download the nomination form for professors: