Community Update: Electrical fire in Currie Gym, Macdonald substation


Last evening, Monday, September 24, at 19h50, a power failure was reported on the McGill campus that alerted fire and security officials to an electrical fire at the Currie Gymnasium at 475 Pine Avenue West. The main electrical feed to the Macdonald substation had caught fire, causing damage inside the room affecting the electrical equipment. The fire alarm system was triggered by smoke and the building was evacuated without injury.

One firefighter sustained minor injuries during the containment of the fire but by 23h00 the fire was completely extinguished. Fortunately, there were no further injuries and property damage was limited.

However, due to the electrical nature of the fire, a number of McGill buildings in the vicinity experienced power outages. By midnight, power was restored to all facilities except the Tomlinson Fieldhouse and Currie Gym. All classes and activities in those buildings are suspended until further notice but power is expected to be restored in the next 24-48 hours.

McGill University would like to thank the Montreal Fire Department for its quick and efficient response, as well as all the electrical crews who worked last night and who continue to work to restore power to all facilities. The University also wishes a swift and full recovery to the injured firefighter.