Placement tests are required for admission to most undergraduate CESL courses, but not for any graduate CESL courses. Graduate students wishing to take an undergraduate CESL course should refer to the "Graduate Students" section below.
There is no placement test for CEAP 250.
Taking the placement test does not guarantee a place in a course. Registration for courses is on a first-come, first-served basis.
About the test
- The test takes approximately 1.5 hours to complete.
- There is no registration for the test.
- There is no fee to take the test.
- Arrive ten minutes before test time.
- Bring your McGill ID card with you to the test.
- Bring a pen. PLEASE NOTE DURING FALL 2017- WINTER 2018 THE TEST WILL BE HANDWRITTEN ON PAPER.
Placement Test and Advising Schedules for Winter 2018 courses
Please note that Placement Test and Advising times are subject to change.
CHECK THE SCHEDULES BEFORE YOU ARRIVE FOR A TEST OR ADVISING SESSION.
Placement Test Schedule
- CESL graduate courses do not require placement tests.
- Under certain conditions, a graduate student may take an undergraduate course (either CESL or CEAP); in this case, a placement test is required. Following completion of the test, a permit will be issued. This permit is required for course registration on Minerva.
Undergraduate courses at the 400 level and below also require permission from the student’s department (usually from the supervisor). Students are advised to take the placement test before seeking permission, as the test will demonstrate need.