Placement tests are required for admission to most undergraduate CESL courses, but not for any graduate CESL courses. Graduate students wishing to take an undergraduate CESL course should refer to the "Graduate Students" section below.
There is no placement test for CEAP 250.
Taking the placement test does not guarantee a place in a course. Registration for courses is on a first-come, first-served basis.
About the test
- The test takes approximately 1.5 hours to complete.
- There is no registration for the test.
- There is no fee to take the test.
- Arrive ten minutes before test time.
- Bring your McGill ID card with you to the test.
- Bring a laptop with WIFI and test the WIFI beforehand to ensure the connection works.
- Link to MWC Placement Test: You will be given a password when you are on site to take the test.
For Fall 2016 and Winter 2017 courses
Testing and advising times are subject to change. Please check back regularly.
The McGill Writing Centre is located in the McLennan-Redpath Library, 3459 McTavish St., Main Floor, Room 02.
- CESL graduate courses do not require placement tests.
- Under certain conditions, a graduate student may take an undergraduate course (either CESL or CEAP); in this case, a placement test is required. Following completion of the test, a permit will be issued. This permit is required for course registration on Minerva.
Undergraduate courses at the 400 level and below also require permission from the student’s department (usually from the supervisor). Students are advised to take the placement test before seeking permission, as the test will demonstrate need.