Quick Links

Program Information

Program Requirements

Photo: Adam Scotti


Renowned for its orchestral, wind, percussion, contemporary music, choral, opera, jazz, chamber and early music ensembles, the Schulich School of Music presents more than 750 concerts and events each year. Those are just some of the unique performance opportunities you'll have at Canada's largest music school. You’ll also benefit from five recording studios, two concert halls, recital halls, computer and digital composition labs, and a state-of-the-art music library, not to mention world-class research and production facilities. Your contact with leading professional musicians, arts organizations, research societies and music industry experts will provide extensive practical experience and prepare you for the demands of professional life.


Brass, Early Music, Jazz, Opera, Organ & Church Music, Percussion, Piano, Strings, Voice, Woodwinds

Music Research:
Composition, Music History/Musicology, Music Education, Music Theory, Music Technology (minor only), Sound Recording (undergraduate courses only)


Concurrent B.Mus. / B.Ed.
B.A. (Only available through the Faculty of Arts and not the Schulich School of Music)


Licentiate in Music (L.Mus.):
Performance: Keyboard (Piano, Organ, Harpsichord), Voice, Classical Instruments, Early Music, Jazz

The three-year Licentiate in Music (L.Mus.) program in Performance and in Jazz Performance is designed for instrumentalists who wish to concentrate on their practical subjects while limiting theoretical and general academic requirements. Applicants are eligible to apply from high school, CEGEP or college/university. The performance level expected is above that of a bachelor's degree.

Artist Diploma (A.Dip.):
Performance: Keyboard (Piano, Organ, Harpsichord), Voice, Classical Instruments, Early Music

The two-year Artist Diploma (A.Dip., normally post-baccalaureate) is a non-degree program in Performance designed for advanced instrumentalists who wish to concentrate on their practical subjects while limiting theoretical and general academic requirements. Applicants are eligible to apply after a bachelor's degree or equivalent, many apply after a master's degree.


Bachelor of Music (B.Mus.)
Faculty Program (General Music)
Music History
Music Theory
Performance (Keyboard [Piano, Organ, Harpsichord], Voice, Classical Instruments, Early Music, Jazz)

The B.Mus. curriculum includes individual lessons, ensemble participation, and course work in music history, theory and analysis, and musicianship. Students are also required to complete courses in the Faculties of Arts and Science.

Concurrent Bachelor of Music (B.Mus.) and Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.): Music Education, offered as a concurrent Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Education (B.Mus./B.Ed.) program, prepares students to teach music at the primary and secondary school levels.

Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Major Concentration in Music: This program, offered through the Faculty of Arts, is for those seeking a more broadly based undergraduate liberal arts education. Private lessons are not offered in this program. The Faculty of Arts also offers a Minor Concentration in Music for Arts/Science students (see Faculty of Arts.)

Double Majors and Double Degrees:
If eligible, students enrolled in the B.Mus can add a second major to their music degree. Double majors are usually offered with the Faculties of Arts only. Normally, a second major is added in the second/third year of a music degree. Additional credits may be required to complete a music degree with a double major. Music students may also complete a double degree in either Arts or Science. the normal length of a double degree is six years. For detailed information about programs and descriptions of specific courses, consult Schulich School of Music Undergraduate 2013-2014.pdf.

Minors available:
Music students have the opportunity of adding a minor to their music degee. There are many options in both music and non-music faculties. Applicants cannot apply for minors when requesting admission to the university. Minors are added to a students academic profile after they register at McGill.

Special, Visiting and Exchange Students:

Special students are non degree students who wish to pursue undergraduate music courses. Applicants are required to have the necessary music prerequisites for the courses concerned. Registration is subject to the availability of space in the course(s) concerned. Special students are normally not entitled to lessons in an instrument or in voice. Registration is permitted for one year only, after which time the student must apply for admission to a degree program.  Special students must also go through an admission evaluation.

Sound Recording pre-requisite courses. Applicants who wish to pursue the special prerequisite courses in sound recording apply as undergraduate special students. Please note that admission to courses is not guaranteed.

Visiting students are individuals who wish to take courses at McGill for credit at another university provided they have the prerequisites for the course(s) concerned and have official permission from their home university. Please note that an audition (recorded audition) is required for all visiting students who wish to pursue lessons and participate in ensembles.  If an applicant's home university has a direct exchange agreement with McGill University, then applicants are eligible to apply as an exchange student. Applicants should consult with their home university before applying.

Inter-University Transfer Students (IUT): 

If you are a student at another Quebec university and you want to take courses at McGill using the Quebec Inter-University Transfer (IUT) agreement, you must initiate an online application to request the required authorizations at www.mcgill.ca/students/transfercredit/current/iut. You should also refer to your home university website for regulations on the number of credits allowed, as well as the policies for transferring the credits. Please note that most Quebec conservatories are not part of the agreement and students must apply as visitng students.