Teaching Awards 2013-2014
The Schulich School of Music Teaching Award recognizes excellence, commitment and innovation in teaching, as well as the importance of these qualities in the academic experience of students at McGill. A $1500 prize will be awarded annually at Spring Convocation.
Full-Time Teachers (Faculty Lecturers, Assistant, Associate and Full Professors);(1 award in each Dept.); a third award will be offered in the Part-Time Teachers (Class Instructors and Contract Professionals) category. *Candidates must have taught in the full academic year for which the award is given. Award recipients will not be eligible for re-nomination for a period of five (5) years following their award.
Nomination Procedure and Requirements:
2) Statement of Teaching Approach (maximum 1 page)
Nominees should provide a description of their teaching approach, with an explanation of why they have chosen this approach. The statement should also include a description of how the nominee's thinking about teaching and learning has changed over time, and how they work to improve their teaching. This statement can facilitate the Committee’s interpretation of the rest of the dossier.
3) Summary of Teaching responsibilities / Evidence of Teaching Excellence / Evidence of Educational Leadership (maximum 1 – 2 pages) Consider addressing some of the following:
- Type of teaching, nature and number of students, other types of teaching responsibilities
- Awards, recognition, peer evaluations, success of students, student evaluations
- Involvement with curriculum or program design and development
- Coordination of workshops/conferences or other teaching-related events
- Work with teaching and learning centers/committees, educational associations
4) Four Letters of Reference maximum. Include at least 2 from current students. Letters of support could address:
- Dedication to teaching; ability to engage students in the learning process
- Integration of research and teaching
- Educational leadership such as involvement with program or curriculum development
- Impact the nominee’s teaching has had on former students’ academic achievements or other successes
- Any other relevant information that could be helpful to the committee
Selection Committee: Schulich School of Music Executive Committee; MUSA President; MGSS President.
The Selection Committee will also select one or more candidates to put forth in eligible categories for the Principal’s Prize for Excellence in Teaching: http://www.mcgill.ca/tls/awards/principalprize/