Congratulations and welcome to our school!
We invite you to studentaffairs [dot] music [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email us) or visit the Music Student Affairs Office located on the 7/F of 527 Sherbrooke Street West if you have questions about policies and procedures relating to registration, academic programs, course changes, withdrawal deadlines, graduation requirements, etc. We will be happy to assist you!
Dates to Remember
The information below will guide you from your acceptance through to orientation/advising and your first week of classes.
June 1, 2015 (Monday)
- Deadline to submit your Practical Instruction Request Form online. Late registration fees will be charged if you miss this deadline. You cannot register for MUIN courses yourself. You must register for at least one course in the fall term (e.g. MUPD 135) once MINERVA registration opens in June and then the Performance Department can add the lesson (MUIN course) on your behalf.
- Deadline to accept your offer of admission if you have not yet done so. Please note that Scholarship winners may have an earlier deadline to accept your offer of admission.
June 2, 2015 (Tuesday)
Deadline to confirm your room reservation using MINERVA if a McGill residence space has been reserved for you.
June 4, 2015 (Thursday)
Cegep Students Information Session: CSI McGill. This is an orientation session customized for newly admitted Cegep students who have confirmed their acceptance.
June 8, 2015 (Monday)
Registration opens for newly admitted students from Quebec Cegeps. Please use MINERVA to register.
Need help on how to use MINERVA to register? Watch the Mcgill 101 "Registration Tools" video.
June 15, 2016 (Monday)
Registration opens for newly admitted and transfer students with academic qualifications such as Advanced Levels, Advanced Placements, French Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate, etc. Please use MINERVA to register.
June 16, 2015 (Tuesday)
Registration opens for students admitted from high school. Please use MINERVA to register.
August 14, 2015 (Friday)
IMPORTANT: New students have until this day to register for at least one course in order to avoid late registration penalties.
e.g. All B.Mus. students should register for MUPD 135 by August 14. You should only register for MUTH, MUSP and MUJZ courses once you receive the results for the placement exams. Contact studentaffairs [dot] music [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Student Affairs) if you have more questions on registration.
All students are assigned a McGill Email Address and are given a McGill email mailbox. Email sent to your McGill Email Address is an official means of communication between McGill University and its students.
August 29 and 30, 2015 (Saturday & Sunday)
August 31, 2015 (Monday)
Mandatory placement exams begin for all students except B.Mus. Jazz Performance. Placement exams in theory, musicianship and keyboard proficiency are mandatory for all incoming students, and for students seeking exemptions from 100-level courses.
First tuition payment due date for new students. You will receive a second fee statement in September when you register for more courses after receiving the placement exam results.
September 1, 2015 (Tuesday)
This is a one-day campus-wide welcome event for all newly admitted students. You will have a chance to learn about the many McGill’s resources that are available to ensure your academic, professional and personal success. You will also attend a Faculty Orientation on the Discover McGill Day. During the Faculty Orientation, you will meet the Dean and key representatives from our music departments whom you will be interacting with at the Schulich School of Music.
September 2, 2015 (Wednesday)
See Placement Exams
Mandatory placement exams begin for all B.Mus. Jazz Performance students.
Continuation of placement exams for all music programs.
September 3, 2015 (Thursday)
All first year students enrolled in the Schulich School of Music must be registered for an ensemble each semester. You are responsible for verifying your program's ensemble requirements. For more information on the ensemble policy and regulations, see the Ensemble webpages.
September 4, 2015 (Friday)
- Advising Sessions with Area Chairs (12:00pm to 1:00pm). It is mandatory for all newly admitted students to attend this academic advising session.
- Ensemble auditions continue.
- First day of classes. Classes normally scheduled for Monday (Labour Day holiday) will take place on Friday, September 4th instead. The first Friday lecture for regular Friday classes will be held on Friday, September 11.
September 7, 2015 (Monday)
Labour Day – This is a public holiday; there are no lectures held on this day.
September 8-11, 2015
- First week of classes.
- Ensemble auditions continue.
Other important academic information can be found in the eCalendar.