Quick Links

Registration and Academic Information



Find answers to your questions about registration, course grading options, final examinations, practical exam applications, academic standing and deferrals to help you make the best decisions by clicking on each tab category below:


Newly Admitted Students

All newly admitted students should register for at least one course prior to August 14 to avoid late registration penalties.  You are required to attend the placement exams, the Discovery McGill Day on August 26, Advising Day by Area of Studies on August 29 and sign up for ensemble auditions.  Details on these events and sample of first year courses can be found on the Newly Admitted Students Checklist


Returning Students

All Music returning students are urged to register as soon as possible starting mid-April for the new academic year. Music courses have enrolment limits and fill up rapidly.  Late registration fees will be charged if you fail to register for at least one course by August 14.  Please consult Important Dates for more information on registration deadlines.


IMPORTANT: Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Music, the Licentiate in Music or the Artist Diploma are not permitted to register for MUAR courses.  MUAR courses cannot be used as credits towards the Schulich School of Music's programs.


Registration opening dates for Music students for the 2015-2016 academic year:

Students Entering U3 April 7, 2015
Students Entering U2 April 8, 2015
All Other Students April 9, 2015
Late Registration Begins August 15, 2015


How To Register

Students must register via Minerva.


Minerva is a useful tool which you may view the class schedule, register, apply for graduation, update personal information, etc.  Detail program and academic information can be found on the eCalendar

Click here for more information on key academic dates relating to add/drop deadline, semester start/end date and examination period.



Students may take one non-music elective per term to be graded under the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) option, to a maximum of 10% of the student's credits taken at McGill to fulfill the degree requirements. The decision to have a non-music elective course graded as S/U must be made by the student before the end of the add/drop period on Minerva.

The S/U option will convert grades of A through C to 'S' and grades of D, F, and J to 'U'. The S/U option may not exceed 10% of a student's credits taken at McGill to fulfill the degree requirements (e.g. 10% x 90 credit program = 9 credits).


IMPORTANT: All S/U courses are not included in the credit load required for scholarship consideration and are not included in grade point average calculations. More information on Scholarship eligibility can be found here.




If your fee account is clear, check the following possibilities, each of which is followed by a suggestion for resolution of the problem:


  1. Pay close attention to the following information on the Class Schedule: Course restrictions to students in a particular program, limited enrollment, departmental approval.
  2. You will need to obtain a permit over-ride form to register for courses that require special permission. In most cases, approval will be given by the Department concerned. Once you have been granted a permit over-ride, it is your responsibility to add the course section. For more information, please contact the appropriate Department.
  3. Music courses with 'linked' sections, for example; lecture and tutorial, studio and lab, you are required to register for both links at the same time.
  4. According to Minerva, you lack prerequisites; if you believe this to be an error, see the Student Affairs Office.
  5. Special Projects courses are not available on Minerva. Students will require Departmental approval to register. Appropriate forms are available from the Department concerned.
  6. Practical Instruction/Exams and Voice Coaching will be added by the Performance Department after the online request is submitted by the student. For further information, please contact the Student Affairs Office.




During the initial Registration Periods, you may make changes to course registrations (add or drop courses), subject to the requirements and restrictions of your program and of individual courses.

The Course Change deadline, which coincides with the deadline for late registration, is listed on the eCalendar.

After the Course Change deadline, courses may be added according to each faculty's regulations and only with written permission of the instructor and the respective Student Affairs Office which administers the course. A fee will be charged for each course added.





Any course withdrawal from the period after the Course Change Period to the withdrawal deadline, will appear as a 'W' on your record. A 'W' is not calculated in your grade point average. A ‘W’ simply means you withdrew from a course. More information on Course Withdrawals and Refunds can be found here.


Do not wait until after your mid-term exam to make a decision. If you are thinking of withdrawing from a course, please consult with the Academic Advisor before the withdrawal deadline. Any requests made after the deadline will be considered late and only approved for compelling reasons.


Late Withdrawals after the deadline

Students are responsible for the accuracy of their record. Before the end of the course change period, use Minerva to verify course and section registration.  In the case of a late withdrawal, the course will not be deleted from the student's record. A notation of 'W' will appear on the transcript.

If you would like to withdraw a course after the withdrawal deadline, you should:

  1. obtain a Late Course Withdrawal Form from the Music Student Affairs Office.
  2. write a letter explaining why you are making this request. The letter should include when you started and/or stopped attending class. The letter should also include if and when you tried accessing Minerva to register and/or withdraw from the class.
  3. take your letter and Course Withdrawal Form to the class instructor. The instructor will then confirm the dates that you attended class.
  4. bring the completed form and the letter to the Music Student Affairs Office for approval. Allow three working days for the Student Affairs Office to render a decision. If your request is approved, a $50 fee for each course will then be applied towards your student fee account.


IMPORTANT: It is your responsibility to initiate the withdrawal process, non-attendance of classes does not constitute a course withdrawal.  Failure to withdraw from course before the deadline will constitute a ‘J’ grade, considered a failing grade for incomplete course.  A ‘J’ grade is factored into the cumulative grade point average (CGPA) calculation.



McGill University adheres to the highest code of academic integrity and conduct. Students who are found guilty of academic dishonesty will be disciplined. Please refer to the 'Handbook of Student Rights and Responsibilities'.


A cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2.00 or greater is required to maintain a satisfactory standing.  Students will be placed on probationary standing and may be asked to have their course load reduced if the CGPA falls below 2.00.  Visit the e-Calendar for more informaton pertaining to academic standing.




Final Exams

Updated final exam schedule can be found on the exam website.


Practical Exams

All Music students are required to sit for practical exams (i.e.BMus Concentration Final Exam, BMus Performance Examinations, Artist Diploma Recitals and Concertos, L.Mus. Performance Examinations).  Details on application for practical examination can be found on the eCalendar and the practical examination website.



Deferred Exam

Deferred examinations are permitted in case of illness or other exceptional circumstances, i.e. professional engagement.  Deferral requests must be submitted through MINERVA.

If the deferral is for a practical examination, a Request for Deferred Examination[pdf] form must be submitted directly to the Departmental of Performance. Students should be aware that deferred examinations are granted only for compelling reasons.

A deferred examination will be entered as L, which will be replaced on official transcripts by the actual mark when the examination is written. A mark of L not cleared by mid-May makes the student ineligible for scholarships



Supplemental examinations in Music academic courses may be given at the discretion of the instructor. A student who receives a mark below 30% in a course is not permitted to take a supplemental examination but must repeat the course. All students wishing to sit a supplemental Performance examination must apply directly to the Performance Office for permission.




If you are considering withdrawing from your Program, we strongly recommend you to consult your Advisor before making a final decision.

It is your responsibility to initiate the withdrawal process, non-attendance of classes does not constitute a program withdrawal. To view the University's Regulations Concerning University Withdrawal, click here.

To withdraw from the University, you must withdraw from all your courses on Minerva BEFORE the deadline for University Withdrawal.

Should you decide not to return to McGill in September after you have registered, the last date to cancel your registration is August 31, 2014. You must drop all your courses on Minerva.

If you withdraw from all your courses on Minerva before the deadline for University Withdrawal, you will not have a record of study for this term and your student record will remain inactive.  Your McGill email account will become inactive after 30 days.

Music students are blocked from dropping practical instruction, voice coaching, and Special Projects. Therefore, a written request must be submitted to the Music Student Affairs. Your registration will be deleted and you will not be charged any administrative fees.



Withdrawal After the Deadline:

Withdrawal from the University after the University withdrawal deadline may be granted only under serious, well-documented circumstances. Circumstances which can affect your ability to complete your studies, and which may constitute a valid basis to grant a University withdrawal past the withdrawal deadline include illness, unforeseen financial hardship, or serious family affliction. If you wish to withdraw from the University after the University withdrawal deadline, you must submit your request with appropriate supporting documentation to the Music Student Affairs.


If you were granted a University Withdrawal after the deadline, your record will indicate "Withdrew from the University" and the date on which your withdrawal became effective. Your McGill email account will become inactive after 30 days.

If you withdraw in the Fall term, you are considered withdrawn from the entire academic year and your Winter term is deleted.

Should you wish to return to McGill in the future, please refer to our readmission procedures here.




Students who require confirmation of their status at McGill can obtain a signed letter listing the terms in which they were registered by accessing their record in Minerva.

Contact Service Point for more information.