Note to first year undergraduate piano majors (Faculty, Performance or Licentiate programs, Faculty of Arts and Music Concentration): Student are required to successfully complete Piano Ensemble 1 prior to taking any of the other auditions for piano ensemble work.
Mixed Ensemble Auditions
The Mixed Ensemble Audition covers the following ensembles:
McGill Symphony Orchestra & Sinfonietta (MUEN 597)
CME (Contemporary Music Ensemble) (MUEN 594)
Wind Symphony (MUEN 590)
Sonata Masterclass (MUEN 585)
Studio Accompanying (MUEN 584/684)
Chamber Music (Small ensembles ie: piano trio, piano quartet) (MUEN 560)
In order to take the audition you must do the following:
- Sign up for the audition on the appropriate sheet across from Clara Lichtenstein Hall (C209)- posted one week prior to the auditions.
- Learn the Quick Study Piece, available here or outside of C416.
- Successful completion of Piano Ensemble 1 (must have already been completed). ** First year students do not qualify to take the Mixed Ensemble Audition**
* Any student that already has an established agreement with an instructor of a studio that you will accompany for Studio Accompanying (MUEN 584/586) must have the instructor confirm this with Professor Hashimoto directly.
** Concentration and Arts students may take this audition IF they have taken and completed Piano Ensemble 1 and will only be allowed to participate in the large ensembles (Orchestras, CME, Wind Symphony).***
There will be NO auditions in January; students wanting to participate in the Winter semester MUST take the audition this term.
A movement of an assigned work (to be announced one week prior to the auditions), this work will be available on this website, outside of room C416 and on reserve on the 4th floor of the Marvin Duchow Music Library.
A selection of your choice from the solo piano repertoire; minimum of 5 minutes in duration.
Date: Friday, September 6, 2013
Time: See sign up sheets posted across from Clara Lichtenstein Hall (C209) posted one week prior to the auditions.
Audition Location: C416
Questions? %20kyoko [dot] hashimoto [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Prof. Hashimoto) or, by phone: 514-398-4535 ext.00264
SONG INTERPRETATION 1 & 2 (MUEN 578 & MUEN 579)
* These ensembles are NOT open to Non-Music students *
Audition Instructions: Sign up for an audition time and arrive 5-10 minutes prior to your time.
Audition Material: Pianists: 1 Romantic work, up to 7 minutes in length; Vocalists: 2 songs- 1 German and 1 of your choosing.
Audition Time/Date: Thursday, September 5 & Friday, September 6, 2013 * See sign up sheets across from Clara Lichtenstein Hall for individual times
Audition Location: Strathcona Music Building, Clara Lichtenstein Hall, C209