All new/first-year piano students are required to successfully complete Piano Ensemble 1 prior to taking any of the other auditions for piano ensemble work.
Mixed Ensemble Auditions
The Mixed Ensemble Audition covers the following ensembles:
- McGill Symphony Orchestra & Sinfonietta (MUEN 597)
- CME (Contemporary Music Ensemble) (MUEN 594)
- Wind Symphony (MUEN 590)
- Sonata Masterclass (MUEN 585)
- Studio Accompanying (MUEN 584/684)
- Chamber Music (Small ensembles ie: piano trio, piano quartet) (MUEN 560) *If you are planning in participating in a chamber music ensemble, please use the sidebar to navigate to "Instrumental Auditions" and click on the Small Ensemble Auditions tab for information about the Chamber Music meeting.
- Sign up for the audition on the appropriate sheet across from Clara Lichtenstein Hall (C209)- posted one week prior to the auditions.
- Learn the Quick Study Piece.
- Successful completion of Piano Ensemble 1 (pre-requisite).
- Any student that already has an established agreement with an instructor of a studio that they will accompany for Studio Accompanying (MUEN 584/586) must have the instructor confirm this with Prof. Hashimoto directly.
- Concentration and Arts students may take this audition IF they have taken and completed Piano Ensemble 1 and will only be allowed to participate in the large ensembles (Orchestras, CME, Wind Symphony).
- There will be NO auditions in January; students wanting to participate in the Winter semester MUST take the audition this term.
- Quick study piece (Download the piece here). This work is also posted outside room C416, and on reserve on the 4th floor of the Marvin Duchow Music Library.
- A selection of your choice from the solo piano repertoire; minimum of 5 minutes in duration.
- Date: Sept. 5, 2014
- Time: See sign up sheets posted across from Clara Lichtenstein Hall (C209) posted one week prior to the auditions.
- Audition Location: C416
Questions? kyoko [dot] hashimoto [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Contact Prof. Hashimoto by email) or, by phone: 514-398-4535 ext.00264
Song Interpretation Auditions
SONG INTERPRETATION 1 & 2 (MUEN 578 & MUEN 579)
Sign up for an audition time and arrive 5-10 minutes prior to your time.
- Pianists: 1 Romantic work, up to 7 minutes in length
- Vocalists: 2 songs- 1 German and 1 of your choosing.
Audition Time/Date: TBA *See sign up sheets across from Clara Lichtenstein Hall for individual times
Audition Location: Strathcona Music Building, Clara Lichtenstein Hall, C209
This ensemble is not open to non-music students.