Newly Admitted Students
Welcome to McGill!
The team at the Music Graduate Studies Office is available to provide assistance with:
Policies and procedures regarding course registration
- Academic programs
- Graduation requirements
- Course changes
- Withdrawal deadlines
Do not hesitate to ask us for help. If we cannot help you, we will find out who can.
Important Dates - Fall 2014/Winter 2015
Orientation and Advising: Thursday, August 28, 2014 - http://www.mcgill.ca/music/current-students/graduate/registration-information/newly-admitted-students
MUTH TA Introductory Session: Friday, August 29, 2014 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. in Room A510
Teaching Assistant Introductory Session (All new TAs except for MUTH): Friday, August 2014 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. in Room A832
Graduate & Postdoctoral Orientation Open House and Welcome Event: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - http://www.mcgill.ca/firstyear/grad-students/fall-orientation/orientation
Classes begin: Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Ensemble Auditions: September 2 to 5, 2014 - http://www.mcgill.ca/music/current-students/undergraduate/all-students/ensembles
Add/Drop Deadline: September 16, 2014
Deadline for Course Withdrawal with Refund: September 23, 2014
Thanksgiving day: October 13, 2014 (University Closed)
Deadline for Course Withdrawal without Refund: October 14, 2014
Fall Exam Period: December 8-19, 2014
Holiday Period: December 25, 2014 to January 2, 2015 (University Closed)
Winter Term Lectures Begin: January 5, 2015
Add/Drop Deadline: January 20, 2015
Deadline for Course Withdrawal with Refund: January 27, 2015
Deadline for Course Withdrawal without Refund: February 17, 2015
Winter Exam Period: April 16-29, 2015
Easter Weekend: April 3-6, 2015 (University Closed)
- International Students: Apply for Immigration Documents: http://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/pre-arrival/immigration-documents
Submit your online 2015-16 Practical Instruction/Teacher Preference Request Form, which will be available online mid-March. Deadline to submit: March 31, 2015 for returning students and June 1, 2015 for new students (late requests should still be submitted as they are required for teaching assignment purposes). Check your information carefully prior to submitting your request. If changes are needed after your request has been submitted, e-mail: teacherpreference [at] music [dot] mcgill [dot] ca.
- Register for the following courses between July 8 and August 14:
- Fall 2014 - Course number REGN RCGR - CRN 2334
- Winter 2015 - Course number REGN RCGR - CRN 2262.
- Some students in Music Research may have Placement Exams to complete. Emails are sent with all the information.
- All Graduate students should be present on the Advising day and are strongly encouraged to attend the Graduate Orientation Open House event (see important dates above).
- Register for your classes for both semesters according to your advising session.
- Get your Student ID Card - http://www.mcgill.ca/students/records/id/
- Update your address and phone number on Minerva - www.mcgill.ca/minerva
- Make sure you activate your McGill Email address - http://kb.mcgill.ca/it/easylink/article.html?id=1016
- Graduate Music Handbook: http://www.mcgill.ca/music/current-students/graduate/graduate-music-handbook
- SKILLSETS Workshops for graduate students: http://www.mcgill.ca/skillsets/
- Residences and Off-Campus Housing: http://www.mcgill.ca/students/housing/
- Banking Information: http://www.mcgill.ca/firstyear/montrealessentials/services/banking
- Cell Phone Information: http://www.mcgill.ca/firstyear/montrealessentials/services/banking