The deadline for receipt of applications is 4:00pm, May 5, 2014.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all required documents, paper and electronic, are received at the Faculty of Medicine Research and Graduate Studies Office, McIntyre Medical Sciences building, room 637, by that time and date. Late, incomplete or handwritten applications will not be considered.
Internal Postdoctoral Fellowships are open to highly qualified fellows under the direction of a member of McGill university Faculty of Medicine who is a professor, Associate Professor or an Assistant Professor.
Eligibility: Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Applicants must be registered as postdoctoral fellows at McGill University Faculty of Medicine when applying and for the duration of the award. Please see the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office for detailed information on postdoctoral registration at McGill.
- Individuals may not hold more than three years of Faculty of Medicine Internal Postdoctoral Fellowships.
- The candidate's primary supervisor(s) must be a member of McGill University Faculty of Medicine.
- Applicants must meet the specific requirements for the Internal Postdoctoral Fellowships for which they are applying (click here for Fellowships Descriptions[.pdf] ).
- Applicants are required to apply to external and other internal funding sources for which they are eligible. Priority will be given to excellent fellows who are not eligible for other funding.
- Only the current version of the application form will be accepted.
Number of awards
A supervisor cannot have more than two applicants apply to the Studentship or Postdoctoral Fellowship program at any one time.
(i.e. 1 internal studentship + 1 internal Postdoctoral Fellowship applicant; 2 internal studentships applicants; or 2 internal Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants)
Value and duration of support:
Internal Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable for one year starting September 1, non renewable. However, recipients are eligible to submit a new application to the full competition in subsequent years.
For value of each fellowship please see Fellowship descriptions (click here for Fellowships Descriptions[.pdf] ).
Supervisors are expected to supplement funded applicants up to recognized rates for a post-doctoral fellow.
- Late, incomplete or handwritten applications will not be considered.
- No additional pages are allowed, except where specifically indicated.
- Applicants are asked not to provide a separate CV.
- Applicants must provide a copy of their complete university academic record to date, including undergraduate transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. Please arrange transcripts in chronological order starting with the most recent. International transcripts must be in English or French.
- The application must be submitted electronically as a single PDF file. The file is to be named as follows: LastName_FirtsName_fellowship.pdf (e.g. Smith_John_fellowship.pdf) and sent by e-mail to submitgrad [dot] med [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Please use submitgrad [dot] med [at] mcgill [dot] ca to submit your applications, documents and attachments.
Application Check List
- Proof of registration in postdoctoral program at McGill (obligatory)
- Supervisor Biosketch form - Applicant's primary supervisor must complete the Biosketch form. Do not send an additional C.V.
- 2 Letters of support – A confidential letter of support from the supervisor and one from someone other than the applicant's current supervisor(s) must be included with the application.
The following points should be covered in the letter of support:
- Critical Thinking: Judicious evaluation of all information, regardless of its source
- Independence: Pursuit of knowledge or taking of action on own initiative, seeking guidance only when appropriate
- Perseverance: Determined persistence in pursuit of goals despite obstacles or discouragement
- Originality: Imagination or ingenuity in problem solving
- Organizational skills: Systematic, careful planning and coordination of activities
- Interest in discover: An inquiring mind and a strong desire to pursue new knowledge
- Communication skills: Effective interpersonal and written communication in work or study environment
- The letters must be submitted electronically as a PDF file. The file is to be named as follows: LastName_FirstInitial_fellowshipletter.pdf (e.g. Smith_J_fellowship.pdf) and sent by email to submitgrad [dot] med [at] mcgill [dot] ca.
A paper copy of the first page of the application form must be signed by the applicant, primary supervisor, secondary supervisor (if applicable) and Department Chair and submitted to our office.
|Evaluation Criteria||Rating for Postdoctoral Fellows|
|Quality of Research||/5|
|Letters of Support||/4|
Once received, the applications will be reviewed to the Faculty of Medicine Postgraduate Awards Committee (PGAC).
Announcement of Results
Candidates will be informed of results aby mid August.
Application forms are in word fillable format
Supervisor Biosketch [.doc]
Please contact Nishat Shabnam at 514-398-2497 or by e-mail gradstudies [dot] med [at] mcgill [dot] ca if you have questions or need help with the application process.