Category Code: MD-INTL
An applicant is eligible to apply as a member of this category if he or she (a) requires a permit to study in Canada (not as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident), (b) will have, before July 31 of the entering year, an undergraduate (Bachelor's) degree for admission as per the Degree requirements, (c) has written an MCAT in the last 5 years with results available before the submission deadline (see 'Key dates' below) and (d) adheres to all other admission requirements and conditions for medical programs.
International applicants selected for admission must have a student authorization by the date of registration. Instructions to apply for a student authorization are available with the letter of acceptance. Applicants for this authorization must be able to prove to the Canadian Department of Immigration that they have adequate funds to complete the entire undergraduate medical program.
It is the personal responsibility of the foreign (non-US) students to ensure that they fulfill all the licensing requirements of the country in which they intend to practise medicine. A medical degree does not necessarily confer the right to practice. Therefore, foreign students must submit, along with their application, a letter or official statement issued by the responsible authorities in their country indicating that they recognise the medical degree awarded by the Faculty of Medicine at McGill University and that this degree will enable them to practice medicine in their country. Please contact the Admissions Office for more details.
As for the MCAT Policy, applicants in this category are required to submit MCAT results.
International applicants can apply to the M.D.,C.M., M.D.,C.M. & M.B.A. or M.D.,C.M. & Ph.D. program. Because all three programs have M.D.,C.M. as their foundation, applicants need only submit one application to their preferred program. There is no quota for combined-program applications.
The following dates are for the Fall 2013 entry and are subject to change without notice. There is no winter or summer intake.
- Application deadline: November 1, 2012
- Submission deadline: November 15, 2012
- Target date for sending preliminary selections: December 21, 2012
- Interview dates: February 25, 26, 27, 2013*
Key numbers and statistics
- Anticipated number of seats available for Fall 2013: 4-5
The following pertains to the Fall 2011 entry and is presented simply for reference. It does not offer any predictive validity.
- Number of applicants: 143
- Number of interviewed candidates: 22
- Lowest GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.55
- Average GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.76
- Average MCAT score (numerical) of interviewed candidates: 33.7
- Applicants should have a degree grade point average (DegGPA) of 3.5 or greater to be considered competitive. DegGPAs below 3.2 will only be considered in exceptional circumstances. Priority is given to those with higher DegGPAs.
- For the MCAT result set used for admission, it is expected that the biological sciences (BS) and the physical sciences (PS) subset scores be no lower than ten (10) and that the verbal reasoning score be no less than nine (9).
- Applicants from the United Kingdom education system must have obtained A-Levels and a 3-year Bachelor's degree in order to apply.
- Applicants from the French education system should have a baccalauréat français followed by a Licence (grade universitaire) in order to apply.
- Interviews are by invitation only. Selected candidates will be notified of their interview date by e-mail. In-person attendance is compulsory and there is no option to reschedule. Candidates for the joint programs may be called to additional interviews (not necessarily on the same date).
- * Interview dates presented are shared with Out-of-Province and In-Province (University-Level) candidates.