Ph.D., Acoustics, Pennsylvania State University
Macdonald Engineering Building, Rm 458 Map
luc [dot] mongeau [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Primary Research Theme: Bioengineering, Vibrations, Acoustics and Fluid-Structure Interaction, Combustion and Energy Systems
Secondary Research Theme: Aerodynamics and Fluid Mechanics, Materials and Structures
Facility: Biomechanics Lab
Voice production, aerodynamic noise in vehicles, thermoacoustic refrigeration, turbomachinery noise, control of flow-induced sound and vibrations. For more information, see Research Interests.
Current Research Projects
- Fluid-structure interactions within the human larynx during voice production: Mechanics and dynamics of self-oscillations
- Development of voice prosthesis for laryngectomy patients
- Stress and strain measurements in vocal fold tissue using digital image correlation methods and endoscopic high-speed imaging
- Fluid flow through the human larynx: Measurements using laser Doppler velocimetry, particle image velocimetry and numerical simulations
- Thermoacoustic heat pumping: Model validation and design optimization, prototype development
- Sound from flow-excited cavities and structures, applied to aircraft and road vehicles
- Control of noise emissions from hydraulic pumps and hoses
- Jet noise: Direct numerical simulations using lattice gas methods
Most Significant Publications
- Cook, D.D., and Mongeau, L., "Sensitivity of a continuum vocal fold model to geometric parameters, constraints, and boundary conditions," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 121, No. 4, pp. 2247-2253, 2007.
- Paek, I., Braun, J.E., and Mongeau, L., "Evaluation of standing-wave thermoacoustic cycles for cooling applications," Int. J. Refrigeration, Vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 1059-1071, 2007.
- Thomson, S.L., Mongeau, L., and Frankel, S.H., "Flow over a membrane-covered, fluid-filled cavity," Computers and Structures, Vol. 85, No. 11, pp. 1012-1019, 2007.
- Singh, K.K., Mongeau, L., Frankel, S.H., and Gore, J.P., "Effect of Co- and Counterswirl on Noise from Swirling Flows and Flames," AIAA Journal, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 651-661, 2007.
For a more complete list, see Publications.
Prof Mongeau's research profile on the Canadian Research Chairs website
The Engineering Acoustics Wikibook produced by students in Prof Mongeau's classes
Purdue University News Service article, Engineers eavesdrop on 'aeroacoustics' of human voice, March 2000
Purdue University News Service article, Simple sound can be really cool, June 1997