Laurent B. Mydlarski
Ph.D. Cornell University
M.S. Cornell University
B.ASc. University of Waterloo
Macdonald Engineering Building, Rm 374 Map
laurent [dot] mydlarski [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)
My research lies primarily in the area of experimental fluid mechanics. I am interested, in particular, in turbulent flows and the mixing that occurs therein. In my work, scalar (e.g., temperature, moisture, chemical species/pollutant, etc.) mixing is examined with an aim to further understanding the underlying physics of many thermo-fluid processes, including combustion and pollutant dispersion into the environment. The mixing of momentum (which leads to drag) is also studied. The research is approached from a fundamental perspective in which the results are applied to engineering problems, and is performed by way of hot-wire anemometry, cold-wire (resistance) thermometry, laser-induced fluorescence and particle-tracking velocimetry.
Current Research Projects
- Reynolds and Péclet number effects on turbulence statistics
- Scalar dispersion and mixing in turbulent flows
- Investigations into the anisotropy of a turbulent passive scalar
- Differential diffusion in turbulent flows
- Effect of scalar-field initial conditions on turbulent passive scalars
- Effect of background turbulence on turbulent flows
- Source locating in turbulent flows
- Lagrangian analysis of turbulent flows
- Measurements within a model of a hydraulic turbine surge chamber
- Microelectronics cooling
Most Significant Publications
- Lepore, J. and Mydlarski, L., 2009. Effect of the Scalar Injection Mechanism on Passive Scalar Structure Functions in a Turbulent Flow. Physical Review Letters 103, pp. 034501-1 to 034501-4
- Lavertu, T.M., Mydlarski, L. and Gaskin, S.J., 2008. Differential diffusion of high-Schmidt-number passive scalars in a turbulent jet. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 612, pp. 439-475.
- Lavertu R.A. and Mydlarski, L., 2005. Scalar mixing from a concentrated source in turbulent channel flow. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 528, pp. 135-172.
- Mydlarski, L., 2003. Mixed velocity¬passive scalar statistics in high-Reynolds-number turbulence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 475, pp. 173-203.
- Mydlarski, L. and Warhaft, Z., 1998. Three-point statistics and the anisotropy of a turbulent passive scalar. Physics of Fluids 11 , pp. 2885-2894.
- Mydlarski, L. and Warhaft, Z., 1996. On the onset of high-Reynolds-number grid-generated wind tunnel turbulence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol 320, pp. 331-368.
MECH 346 Heat Transfer
MECH 656 Fundamentals of Turbulent Flow