James McGill Professor
Ph.D. Stanford University
M.Eng. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
Dipl.Eng. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
The focus of my research is design and control of robotic mechanical systems at large as well as their mechanical components, such as drives and sensors. A major activity here is the development of speed reducers meeting the strict requirements of robotic and mechatronic applications: low backlash; low friction; and high stiffness. While meeting these demands is quite challenging, we are trying hard to do much better than gears by means of cam-roller transmissions. On robot design, I stress robustness regarding their kinetostatic, elastostatic and elastodynamic performances. Research in robotic mechanical systems focuses on lower-mobility parallel robots, with special attention to Schoenflies-motion generators, a.k.a. parallel SCARA systems. Research in the areaof design theory and methodology is also underway.
Current Research Projects
- Optimum design and control of a two-limb Schoenflies-motion generator
- Design and modelling of a mechanism for percutaneous mitral valve repair
- Modelling of rovers on unstructured terrain for planetary exploration
- Design and control of a robotic system for the construction of ice structures
- Design of advanced clutches for hybrid vehicles
- Design and prototyping of a biaxial accelerometer using MEMS technnology
Most Significant Publications
- Caro, S., Khan, W.A., Pasini, D. and Angeles, J., 2010, "The rule-based conceptual design of the architecture of serial Schoenflies-motion generators," Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 45(2), pp. 251-260.
- Desrochers, S., Pasini, D. and Angeles, J., 2010, "Optimum design of a compliant uniaxial accelerometer," ASME J. Mechanical Design,Vol. 132, No. 4, pp. 041011-1-041011-8.
- Barnett, E., Angeles, J., Pasini, D. and Sijpkes, P., 2009, "Robot assisted rapid prototyping for ice structures," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, ICRA 2009, Kobe, Japan, May 12--17.
- Angeles, J. and Park, F.C., 2008, "Performance evaluation and design criteria," in Siciliano, B. and Khatib, O. (editors), Handbook of Robotics, Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg, pp. 229-244.
- Angeles, J., 2007, Fundamentals of Robotic Mechanical Systems. Theory, Methods, Algorithms, Third Edition, Springer, New York.
- Gosselin, C. and Angeles, J., 1990, "Singularity analysis of closed-loop kinematic chains," IEEE Transactions on Robotics & Automation, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 281-290. (cited over 700 times).
MECH 289 Design Graphics
MECH 572 Introduction to Robotics
MECH 577 Optimum Design