James McGill Professor
Ph.D. Stanford University
M.Eng. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
Dipl.Eng. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
Macdonald Engineering Building, Rm 455 Map
jorge [dot] angeles [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)
Primary Research Theme : Dynamics and Control
Secondary Research Theme : Design and Manufacturing
Research Group/Lab : Robotic Mechanical Systems Laboratory
The focus of my research is design and control of robotic mechanical systems at large as well as their mechanical components, such as drives and sensors. A major activity here is the development of speed reducers meeting the strict requirements of robotic and mechatronic applications: low backlash; low friction; and high stiffness. While meeting these demands is quite challenging, we are trying hard to do much better than gears by means of cam-roller transmissions. On robot design, I stress robustness regarding their kinetostatic, elastostatic and elastodynamic performances. Research in robotic mechanical systems focuses on lower-mobility parallel robots, with special attention to Schoenflies-motion generators, a.k.a. parallel SCARA systems. Research in the areaof design theory and methodology is also underway.
Current Research Projects
- Optimum design and control of a two-limb Schoenflies-motion generator
- Design and modelling of a mechanism for percutaneous mitral valve repair
- Modelling of rovers on unstructured terrain for planetary exploration
- Design and control of a robotic system for the construction of ice structures
- Design of advanced clutches for hybrid vehicles
- Design and prototyping of a biaxial accelerometer using MEMS technnology
Most Significant Publications
- Caro, S., Khan, W.A., Pasini, D. and Angeles, J., 2010, "The rule-based conceptual design of the architecture of serial Schoenflies-motion generators," Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 45(2), pp. 251-260.
- Desrochers, S., Pasini, D. and Angeles, J., 2010, "Optimum design of a compliant uniaxial accelerometer," ASME J. Mechanical Design,Vol. 132, No. 4, pp. 041011-1-041011-8.
- Barnett, E., Angeles, J., Pasini, D. and Sijpkes, P., 2009, "Robot assisted rapid prototyping for ice structures," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, ICRA 2009, Kobe, Japan, May 12--17.
- Angeles, J. and Park, F.C., 2008, "Performance evaluation and design criteria," in Siciliano, B. and Khatib, O. (editors), Handbook of Robotics, Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg, pp. 229-244.
- Angeles, J., 2007, Fundamentals of Robotic Mechanical Systems. Theory, Methods, Algorithms, Third Edition, Springer, New York.
- Gosselin, C. and Angeles, J., 1990, "Singularity analysis of closed-loop kinematic chains," IEEE Transactions on Robotics & Automation, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 281-290. (cited over 700 times).
MECH 289 Design Graphics
MECH 572 Introduction to Robotics
MECH 577 Optimum Design