Abdul M Ahmed
Thomas Workman Emeritus Professor
Ph.D. McGill University
M.Eng. McGill University
B.Sc. Dhaka University
My research interest lies in the general area of biomechanics of the human musculoskeletal system, and deals with the understanding of the role of mechanical factors in the diseases, deformities and injuries affecting the joints and structures of this system. The research is motivated both by a desire to improve the practice of orthopaedic surgery for the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders of mechanical origin, and by the need to clarify fundamental concepts related to the nature of interaction between mechanical and biological factors in such disorders. The objectives of the particular research projects undertaken by me and my research students are specifically formulated such that they can be accomplished within an engineering-research environment by graduate students with a strong background in engineering mechanics.
Current Research Projects
- Biomechanics of the menisci and ligaments of the human knee
- Dynamics of the human knee joint
- Stress-shielding and bone remodeling in resurfaced joints
- Biomechanics of curve progression in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis
- Biomechanics of the lumbar disc annulus
Most Significant Publications
- Ahmed, A.M., Duncan, N.A., Tanzer, M., "In Vitro Measurement of the Tracking pattern of the Human Patella," ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, v. 121, pp. 222-228, 1999.
- Tissakht, M., Ahmed, A.M., Chan, K.C., "Calculated Stress-Shielding in the Distal Femur After Total Knee Replacement Corresponds to the Reported Location of Bone Loss", Journal of Orthopaedic Research, v. 14, pp. 778-785, 1996.
- Tissakht, M., Eskandari H., Ahmed, A.M., "Micromotion Analyses of the Fixation of Total Knee Tibial Component", Journal of Computers and Structures, v. 56, No. 2/3, pp. 365-375, 1995.
- style="list-style: none">Tissakht, M., Ahmed, A.M. " Tensile Stress-Strain Characteristics of the Human Meniscal Material", Journal of Biomechanics, v. 28, No. 4, pp. 411-422, 1995.
- Lean, C.A., Ahmed, A.M., "Design and Development of an Unconstrained Dynamic Knee Simulator", ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, v. 115, pp. 144-148, 1993.