N.B.: Where the following documents are shown as being "(PDF)" files, they are in the Adobe® Acrobat® PDF (Portable Document File) format. PDF file format makes it possible to create an electronic facsimile of a paper copy of an article. To view or print files which are in PDF format, you should have the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader® installed on your system. If you do not have the Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®, you can download it here.
Glossaries and Tables
Tetley, Glossary of Conflict of Laws.
Recent Decisions and Commentaries (2008)
Tetley, Prestige Decision Commentary (English)[.doc]
Tetley, Commentaire sur la Décision du Prestige (Français)[.doc]
1) United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Carriage of Goods Wholly or Partly by Sea (The Rotterdam Rules)[.pdf] (A/RES/63/122), 2 February 2009.
For the text of the Convention in English, French and Spanish see Journal of Law and Economics Vol. XLIV No. 4 - 2009.
Glass, David A., "Meddling in the multimodal muddle? -- a network of conflict in the UNCITRAL Draft Convention on the Carriage of Goods [wholly or partly] [by sea]"  Lloyd's Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly 307-334.
Tetley, Reform of Carriage of Goods -- The UNCITRAL Draft and Senate COGSA '99[.pdf] (published in (2003) 28 Tul. Mar. L.J. 1-44).
Tetley, The UNCITRAL Draft Convention - Governing Means Choosing - Can one draft details, without first agreeing on the principles? - Fairplay Magazine, March 20, 2003.
Weale, Letter from the President of the Association of Maritime Arbitrators of Canada to the President of the Canadian Maritime Law Association[.pdf] re "CMI International Sub-Committee on Issues of Transport Law - Proposed Instrument on Carriage of Goods by Sea" (December 18, 2000)
Tetley, "Towards a new Cogsa: Carriage of goods by sea and leadership" - Fairplay Magazine, October 28, 1999.
Tetley, "What Happened in New York? A 'Mouse' and a 'Boot in the Butt'" - Fairplay Magazine, June 17, 1999.
Tetley, "NGO's and Transparency - A Fitting Way to Celebrate in New York" - Fairplay Magazine, April 22, 1999.
Tetley, "Support Griggs: Plan of Action for the CMI" - Fairplay Magazine, October 22, 1998.
2) U.S. Senate COGSA '99
Full-text of U.S. Senate COGSA '99 (September 24, 1999).
Submissions of the Canadian Maritime Law Association on Senate COGSA'99 (April 2000).
Prof. Tetley's comments on Senate COGSA '99 (sixth U.S Senate Staff Working Draft Bill of September 24, 1999).
Reactions to Tetley's commentary on the U.S. draft bill to replace COGSA 1936. (April 7, 1999).
"Law Conventions Trampled: US COGSA Sails Its Own Quirky Course" Fairplay Magazine, October 15, 1998.
Maritime Law — International
1) Recently Published Articles
Tetley, Jurisdiction and Arbitration Clauses in Carriage of Goods by Sea in Canada - the New Law and O.T. Africa Line Ltd. v. Magic Sportswear Corp.[.pdf] (paper presented to the Carriage of Goods by Sea Committee of the U.S. Maritime Law Association, New York City, May 3, 2006).
Tetley, A Table of the Cargo by Sea Conventions as they apply to Certain States (updated weekly).
Tetley, Jurisdiction Clauses and Forum Non Conveniens in the Carriage of Goods by Sea[.pdf] (publisbed in Jurisdiction and Forum Selection in International Maritime Law. Essays in Honor of Robert Force (Martin Davies, ed.), Kluwer Law International, The Hague, 2005, Chapter 6 at pp. 183-263).
Tetley, The Burden and Order of Proof in Marine Cargo Claims[.pdf] (2004).
Tetley, Case Comment: Z.I. Pompey v. ECU-Line N.V. (The Strong Test and Fundamental Breach with respect to Bill of Lading Forum Selection Clauses)[.pdf] (2004) 10 JIML 468-476.
Tetley, Good Faith in Contract, Particularly in the Contracts of Arbitration and Chartering (Corrective vs. Distributive Justice)[.pdf] (2004) 35 JMLC 561-616.
Tetley, Letters of Indemnity at Shipment and Letters of Guarantee at Discharge[.pdf]  ETL 287-344.
Tetley, Interpretation and Construction of the Hague, Hague/Visby and Hamburg Rules[.pdf] (2004) 10 JIML 30-70.
Tetley, Case Comment: The House of Lords Decision in The Starsin[.pdf] (2004) 35 JMLC 121-139.
Tetley, General Average Now and in the Future[.pdf] Liber Amicorum R. Roland, Larcier, Brussels, 2003 at pp. 419-450.
Tetley, The Himalaya Clause - revisited [.pdf](2003) 9 JIML 40-64.
Tetley, "Responsibility for Fire in the Carriage of Goods by Sea"[.pdf]  ETL 1-35.
Tetley, Maritime Liens in the Conflict of Laws[.pdf] , Law and Justice in a Multistate World: Essays in Honor of Arthur T. von Mehren, Transational Publishers, Ardsley, N.Y., 2002 at pp. 439-457 .
Tetley, "Properly Carry, Keep and Care for Cargo - Art. 3(2) of the Hague/Visby Rules"  ETL 9-35.
Tetley, "Seven Rules of Interpretation (Construction) of Bills of Lading", Liber Amicorum Robert Wijffels, Antwerp, 2001 at pp. 359-379.
Tetley, "The Cause of the Loss or Damage", Études de Droit Maritime à l'aube du XXIe siècle - Mélanges offerts à Pierre Bonassies, Éditions Moreux, Paris, 2001, at pp. 357-371.
Tetley, "Geographic Deviation" in Proceedings of the International Conference on Traffic Science, Potoroz, Slovenia, 2000.
Tetley, "Uniformity of International Private Maritime Law - The Pros, Cons, and Alterntives to International Conventions - How to Adopt an International Convention" (2000) 24 Tul. Mr. L.J. 775-856.
Tetley, "Arrest, Attachment, and Related Maritime Law Procedures" (1999) 73 Tul. L. Rev. 1895-1985.
Tetley, "The Demise of the Demise Clause?" (1999) 44 McGill L.J. 807-846.
Tetley, A Definition of Canadian Maritime Law[.pdf] (1996) 30 U.B.C. L. Rev. 137-164.
Tetley, The General Maritime Law - The Lex Maritima[.pdf] (1994) 20 Syracuse J. Int'l L. & Comm. 105-145, reprinted  ETL 469-506.
Tetley, "Canadian Interpretation and Construction of Maritime Conventions", first published (1991) 23 R.G.D. 109-128, updated August 8, 2001.
2) Law Journal Articles
3) Fairplay articles
Prof. Tetley's Fairplay articles. A selection of brief articles first published in Fairplay Magazine.
4) Important Judgments
Maritime Law — Canada
Tetley, Summary of Canadian Legislation and Decisions 2006-2007[.pdf]
Publications and Commentary
1) Tetley, Marine Cargo Claims, 4th edition (2008).
This text was researched with a generous grant of Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC).
Preliminary versions of certain chapters of Marine Cargo Claims, 4th edition, formerly on this website, as well as five national summaries, have been removed from the site in view of the forthcoming publication of the book (May 2008).
2)Tetley, Glossary of Maritime Law Terms, 2 Ed., 2004
(first edition published by Langlois Gaudreau O'Connor, 2001)
4)Tetley, Maritime Transportation, in International Encyclopedia of Comparative Law: Vol XII - Law of Transport, published by Mohr, Siebeck and Martinus Nijhoff, 2001.
7) Tetley, Marine Cargo Claims, 3rd edition, 1988
(out of print)
Important Lectures of the Past
1) Common Carriage vs. Private Carriage[.pdf] - Prof. Tetley's Lecture to students of Profs. Erik Røsæg and Trine-Lise Wilhelmsen of the Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law, University of Oslo, Norway - September 13, 2004
2) History and Fundamentals of Maritime Law - Prof. Tetley's Lecture to students of Profs. Erik Røsæg and Trine-Lise Wilhelmsen of the Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law, University of Oslo, Norway - September 13, 2004
3) Private Carriage: Good Faith in Contract in Civil Law and Common Law[.pdf] (Particularly in the Contract of Chartering and in the Dispute Resoluton of Charterparties, i.e. Arbitration) - Prof. Tetley's Lecture to the Norwegian Maritime Law Association (Stephen Knudtzon, President), at the Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law, Oslo, Norway - September 15, 2004
4) Maritime Liens and the Conflict of Laws[.pdf] Maritime Liens and the Conflict of Laws - Prof. Tetley's Lecture to students of Profs. Erik Røsæg and Trine-Lise Wilhelmsen of the Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law, University of Oslo, Norway - September 16, 2004
5) Due Diligence to Make the Ship Seaworthy[.pdf] - Prof. Tetley's Lecture to students of Profs. Erik Røsæg and Trine-Lise Wilhelmsen of the Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law, University of Oslo, Norway - September 16, 2004
6) Maritime Arbitration in the U.S. and the U.K., Past, Present and Future: The View from London[.rtf]- Bruce Harris at the Tulane Maritime Law Center William Tetley Maritime Lecture 2008 - Tuesday, March 4, 2008